Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I agree with SC: very difficult to judge someone whose life has been so largely covered.

Doesn't that make it more easy to judge him? The fact that his life has been so largely covered?
Bad wording on my part. What I meant was that it's very, very difficult to judge someone on the basis of so much media coverage and not much analytical scrutiny. The sad part of current society is the mass media's doomed general political stance; there's not much room for genuine truth.

I mean what do we really know about Michael Jackson, beyond the phrases we may (and do) apply to anybody else? "Troubled genius", "freak", "musical talent marred by (accusations of) child molestation"; none of that digs beneath any of the bourgeois veils constructed to defer our attentions away from the gross injustices of the actual system.

A sadder part of society (than the general hysteria of mourning the death of a culturally influential artist) is how the molestation charges could even be settled with money. That reveals more about the accusers than the defendant, I think; or at least it says more about the general value of money in capitalist culture as a whole.

It's interesting that death has proved once again to be the best thing that could have happened to a "waning career".

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 06/28/09 10:51 AM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?