Originally Posted By: olivant
This is partly in response to some of Salad's statements posted above, so read those statements first:

FY 2009 - the Federal government has budgeted $216 billion for Medicaid. That amount will be matched by the 50 states. Texas alone has budgeted $20 billion.

FY 2009 - the Federal government has budgeted almost $40 billion for food stamps.

Again, some of the rhetoric typed on this Board seems to advocate the destruction of a child because, well, not destroying that child would, well, you know, make things tough for someone.

That's absurd, olivant. Medicaid and food stamps? Do you know fucking POOR you have to be to obtain social services? So gut-wrenchingly poor that it's absurd. And if Medicaid is so easily available, how are almost 50 MILLION Americans uninsured?? And the great state of Texas, which is budgeting $20 billion for Medicaid, has almost 6 MILLION uninsured! (here's the website, if you want to check the figures - http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/20090324ctuw.pdf) Please tell me what the heck that has to do with the debate?

The working poor aren't offered insurance; they aren't offered affordable daycare. And if they somehow can afford to pay for daycare, what if the child is sick? How many days can a working mother stay home? Wake up and realize what it's like to be poor and have children in this country.

As for this selfish viewpoint I have about destroying an inconvenient life, that is NOT what I said! I have repeated myself over and over, but you seem to be as hard-headed as you accuse others of being. I didn't advocate for ANY position. It's not my choice to make, and it's certainly not yours.

I said that for those that say that only rape victims should be allowed an abortion, it's terribly cruel to ask a victim to prove that before they can make their choice.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club