All brown gravy is made the same way, Beth. My mother's secret is that she doesn't use flour. Flour lumps very easily. She uses cornstarch instead. The other important thing is to never add the cornstarch when the drippings are too hot. That also avoids lumps.

I usually drain all my drippings into a pot. I also add a cup of bullion because we like lots of gravy (on Thanksgiving, I actually simmer the turkey neck with some celery and onions, drain and add that to the pot so that we have a TON of gravy). I also add some salt, pepper and a little onion powder.

In a separate cup, I mix a few tablespoons of cornstarch and water, just enough until it's smooth. Then I add that mixture slowly to the drippings, stirring constantly. After it's all mixed in, THEN I turn on the flame. I stir until it boils and thickens. Remove the pot from the flame and check to see if it's thickened to your liking. If not, mix a bit more cornstarch and water and add it as you did before. Because it's hotter than it was previously, you will have to stir quite briskly to make sure it doesn't lump. Again, do not put the gravy back on the flame until you have completely mixed in the cornstarch. Bring it to a boil again and make sure it's thick enough.

I always add a little bit of Gravy Master at the end as well.

If you were making turkey gravy, which is a larger pot, you'll have to mix more than a few tablespoons of cornstarch, but it's really trial and error. I don't have a recipe.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club