SB, I never heard that saying before, but I like it. This would be a great thread, don't you think?

I remember a phrase my dad would use referring to those who drank too much. I always thought it was lame and really, as a young girl, never knew what it meant. He'd tell me to think about the meaning. As time went on, I think I finally got it. tongue I don't know where he heard it or if it's a well known phrase or not, but it goes like this:

"You can tell the one who boozes, by the company he chooses...and the pig got up and walked away." lol

Even a pig doesn't want to be in their company?

Another variation of "be careful what you wish for" phrase.

My father tells me that my grandfather, who had both my dad and uncle in the service at the same time said, "I only wish to live long enough to see both my sons come home." Sadly, it was literally days after the last sone came home, he died at 52 of a heart attack. My grandmother would always tell my dand and uncle "be careful how you wish for things." Can you imagine? I never knew my grandfather unfortunately.

There are also some old Italian phrases I can't think of right now. Many don't translate well into English, but I'll see if I can think of a couple.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon