Originally Posted By: Don Smitty
The Yankees are going to win.

ds

I thought only I could deliver a jinx.

Lidge tried to give another one away. Obviously I was glad that the Phils were able to pick him up in the 11th. But I have to say that yesterday's and today's games were well played by both teams, who worked every at bat hard, offensively and defensively. The Yankee hitters are running deep counts at the plate and getting a lot of 3-2 hits. They are aggressive on the base paths.

They did the right thing by not sacrificing Texiera in the ninth. While I'm a fan of the home team ninth inning sacrifice, especially with first and second and nobody out, a sacrifice would have effectively removed the bat from the hands of their two best hitters, and left winning the game to less skilled and experienced hitters.

I thought the Phillies' shift in that situation was an invitation to bunt, but the Yankees didn't accept. Even though Tex grounded into the DP, I think it was the wise move.

And SB, the real reason the Phillies won on Fri. and Sunday:
pork chops on Fri. and today I was at a pig roast. No pork on Sat. and they lose.

Finally, I missed most of the extra innings as I was picking up my son at work. He works game days for our AA baseball team, an affiliate of the Nationals. While their game was over and I was waiting for him to finish up, I found a big tv in a concession area tuned into the Phl/NY game in the bottom of the 11th. The AA team had been lined up for and finished a promotional autograph session, and former Met, John Stearns, who manages the team, came over and watched part of the final inning with me.