I think a thread like this is necessary.

Everyone bangs on about ‘Horses Head’, ‘I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse’, ‘Leave the gun, Take the canolli’ etc etc…but for me there are smaller moments that get overlooked.

I’ve gone about the Tessio moment at the end enough in the past, so for my first moment, I want to mention the bit just before Michael heads off to kill Sollozzo and he speaks with his brother and Tom…even though, from what we have seen in the film, Sonny and Mike have a somewhat salty relationship, they rarely agree. Sonny is the elder and likes to demean Mike for his choices in his life, Mike doesn’t like to be patronised by Sonny and has no fear of contradicting him whenever he likes. This all changes when Mike volounteers to kill the pair and he earns Sonny’s respect, all though he didn’t outwardly show it in his ‘nice college boy’ moment…so when the time comes for Mike to leave, knowing that they wont see eachother for years…well, you can see both brothers drop their respective guards and share a deep loving embrace, Michael even kisses his brother and Sonny tells him he’ll get word to Kay when the time is right. The music played during this bit is great and its particularly heartbreaking when you realise that Mike will never see his brother again.

Brilliant from both Caan and Pacino

Last edited by The Hollywood Finochio; 05/20/09 07:06 AM.

Sonny - Well then, business will have to suffer, all right? And listen, do me a favor, Tom. No more advice on how to patch things up, just help me win, please