. . . it's a spectacular book and i've yet to see the adaptation that was produced for television but i just checked out the cast on the internet movie database and it's a must-see . . .

. . . found the hollywood soap opera stuff intriguing and well-written, if not a tad boring. he really lays into the hollywood movie industry pretty hard in his material. but the mafia material is riveting. the assassinations -- the kills -- are the high points of any Mario Puzo work, i just love the way he goes into the details of how the rub-outs are plotted. skannet's kill is great and the death at sea of the guy who wants to fix the superbowl game is incredible . . .

. . . one surprise: thought for sure dante would disobey the don's wish and undertake to assassinate the president of the united states with his own people on his own in order to position the vice-president to help pass laws to legalize the family's gambling empire . . .

. . . the death of the writer (bantz?) showcases puzo's brilliant ability to tell us what his characters are thinking, what goes through their minds, at the time of death. another wicked puzo death . . .

. . . the thing about puzo is that at first glance his stuff appears, perhaps if you're not a seasoned reader of thick novels, somewhat intimidating. however, once you start reading it you realize it's fun trashy pulp fiction, easy to read . . .

. . . absolutely loved the ending of the last don. the last don is satisfying and worth reading . . .

SOME LIKE IT BRUTAL http://www.callumhouston.com/