Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

I do agree that the Right does seem to be losing the younger generation. Not only that, I've read the the so called Religious right is "done" with politics, thus if true, another abandonment for the GOP.

Its two things really.

One, the younger religious kids apparently are unlike their parents' generation in being obsessed in activism against evolution, gays, abortion. Instead, those kids are more worried about being religious activist in what they feel is more pressing issues, and not culture war recycling. What I mean is fighting for the environment, against poverty, for social justice, and so forth.

Doesn't mean they've gone liberal on those issues of gays and abortion or what not, they just really don't think its the pressing issue of their lives.

Hell I read a great magazine article about high school teenagers in West North Carolina, which practically is the same mountainous region as East Tennessee. Mind you, they don't remember Clinton, for they were way too young. So for their whole political awareness, they only know of Dubya...and lets just say that they associate "Conservatism," much less the GOP, as the lame party of mistakes and wrong ideas like many kids in the 1980s thought of the Democratic Liberals, which TIS remembers too well.

In short, its FAMILY TIES reversed.

Second, as for the Religious Right as a whole, they finally realized what they should have known since Roe/Wade...which was that they've been had for the GOP for decades.

How many local/state/national elections, and millions of dollars raised, did those pro-lifers pull off for the GOP? But in 2008, they've had 5 GOP Presidents compared to two Democratic Presidents....and Roe/Wade is still in the books, and never seriously considered for reversal on the Supreme Court, despite many Justices nominated by a GOP White House (and I believe two approved by the GOP Congress 2003-2007)

Worse, was that Dubya the Evangelical was supposed to be their Shepperd President...then a book came out in 2006 from an Evangelical former White House staffer who basically wrote about how the inner-Dubya circle privately mocked the shit out of those faithful for being "sheep," and an always reliable "ATM."

So for 2012, where does that land the Religious Right? Sure they could launch an independent campaign to raise awareness of their cause, but that obviously can't win a Presidential election. Maybe they go GOP full fledged in '12 only if a far right-wing Christianist like Huckabee or Palin is the nominee.

And we get 1984/1988 again, except instead of a Mondale/Dukakis liberal campaigns out of touch with the national conservative consensus, its Palin or Huckabee. Hell I assume in fact that Palin is who the Obama White House wants to run against in 2012.

I know many times in history either party has it's "slump" (for lack of a better word). It happens to the liberal left as well. I didn't see it but heard about an interview with Megan McCain. She almost seemed "flexible" and willing to consider other sides, and even criticize the Republicans. eek

The GOP is a mess right now, with the Limbuagh fringe right fighting the less insane, more moderate elements. Consider that recent Limbaugh incident where a guy called in really layed it into Limbaugh for being a reason why the GOP lost badly in the last two elections, and Limbaugh basically rehashed his same nonsense that the GOP lost last year because the candidate wasn't conservative enough.

Which is silly, because McCain was the best shot GOP had of keeping the White House despite the country pissed about Iraq and the economy and health care. But you need a major defeat or two to shut those fringe groups out of the kingmaking role like the Christianist Right does in the GOP right now.

However, I really think this just may be the beginning of the creation of a third party? What do you think? One perhaps "in the middle" of the right and left? If not a total other party, some major change. The country is ripe for it I think, AND it may be a good thing.

No.

The last time we had a major party shake-up, it was when the new Republican Party supplanted the Whig Party as opposition to the Democrats in 1860 and in subsequent elections.

But TIS, the GOP will rebound eventually, both parties in slumps always do. Trust me, if the GOP could survive 1936, they can survive now. But do enjoy those fring right lunatics being loud, but ultimately irrelevant, in the policy proccess.

I just think something is in the air Obama's election may have been only the beginning of change...poliically anyway.

TIS

Yes and No.

It seems we might be taking a break from the Culture War shit (Thank God), and indeed after that Prop 8 mess last year, the Equal Gay Rights groups have gotten momentum in a state here and there. I think a pressing benchmark was Vermont, which legalized gay marriage not by the courts or referendums, but by the legislature, which overrode a Veto.

Or Iowa, not exactly a liberal beacon state, going unanimous in striking down anti-gay marriage laws there. Besides, Obama seems like next year or at the latest near the end of his first term, he will allow gays to openly join the military.

On the other hand, recent polling incidated record support against gun control.

P.S. RR, my buddy...where have you been? Keeping on the political scene I see. wink Nice to see you back.

Thanks, and I am, while still reviewing movies for other sites.