Originally Posted By: Mignon
When I had my daughter we were just barely getting by. The Col. wasn't making much back then. We tried to get food stamps but they said we made to much. They told us if we had another baby and sell the juck car we had we would qualify. I got so pissed off I told that lady I'm not gonna have another baby just to get your damn food stamps left and slammed the door.

Mig, I'll bet it didn't happen quite that way. You were probably informed of eligibility criteria and the person who provided you with that info simply informed you further that if you had an additonal family member that would satisfy the income eligibility criteria, right?

There's so much anecdotal and incorrect information flowing around out there about welfare. I echo other posters comments aboutit. In Texas, a family of 4 will receive about $400 in food stamps based on $1,000 monthly gross income, no vehicle or other household revenue, and assets under $1,000. The monthly cash benefit would be about $225 One can only be on welfare for up to 60 months, must be registered for work, and even a mother of small children must accept work after 24 months. I guess emoting over these things is to be expected. But having correct information may mitigate that emotion.

Last edited by olivant; 03/19/09 03:57 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."