Originally Posted By: Mignon
SB, Do you want your hard earned tax dollars to go to someone who is healthy and can work if they want to but choose not to because it is easier for them to sit on their lazy ass and get paid for it rather then actually go to work and earn a pay check?

Lazy ass?? Do you really think that the vast majority of people who receive public assistance are sitting home on their lazy asses? Do you understand how ridiculously poverty-stricken someone has to be to even qualify?? Federal poverty levels are ridiculously low and haven't been adjusted properly in YEARS.

Maybe you see a lot of lazy ass people where you live, but the people I know who are on public assistance would give their eye teeth for a job. They swallow their pride only for the sake of their children. I'm sure there are drunks and drug addicts who are on public assistance, just as there are working ones, too.

And if a few bad apples happen to fall into the barrel, I don't want to make it any more difficult for people to buy food for their children.

Let's say we put this ingenious plan to work. Who is going to oversee it?? Who is going to pay for thousands and thousands of urine tests? Who is going to enforce it? When is it done?? Weekly? Monthly? Is it random? Is it only for the ones who have children? What if the father's an alcoholic, but the mother's not? Should the children be taken away from their mother if the father fails a drug test? What happens next? How long do you keep the children from their parents? Until they go to rehab?

Who conducts these tests? Is it local government? Does that mean that local governments would hire more people? If so, who pays for it? Do my taxes go up even MORE??

It's rhetoric, pure and simple. Throw a stupid idea out there, and don't think of the follow-through.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club