Originally Posted By: SC
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Also the Corleones don't seek justice through the judicial system.

That's it in a nutshell. Bonasera sues. Vito and sons don't.

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Vito was sophisticated enough to understand that "a lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a thousand men with guns." His legitimate facade--his ability to accomplish things that benefited him and the people who needed him--came from manipulating the politico/judiciary system and exploiting the weaknesses and greed of judges, politicians and cops. A man who could deliver things to constituents "through the system" would wield awesome power and assume mythic proportions.

At the same time, as SC noted, the Corleones would never use the same system to achieve "justice" for themselves in urgent, personal and life-threatening matters. Why should they, when they had other means at their disposal. In fact, a great deal of their strength rested on the fear factor: their ability to go beyond the system and use violence to achieve quick, definitive solutions. The combination was what made them strong. Connie's wedding provides us with splendid examples of both sides. Nazorine wants Vito's "legitimate" political clout to keep his future son in law in America. Bonasera, after trying and failing to get justice through the courts, wants Vito's violence. Bravo!

Exactly! :

BONASERA: "I went to the police, like a good American."

VITO CORLEONE: "Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?
Had you come to me in friendship, then this scum that ruined your daughter would be suffering this very day. And that by chance if an honest man such as yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies. And then they would fear you."

VITO CORLEONE (to Tom ) : "Ah, give this to ah, Clemenza. I want reliable people; people that aren't gonna be carried away."

----------------------------------------------------

NAZORINE : "Well now that the war is over, this boy, Enzo -- they want to repatriate him back to Italy. Godfather, I have a daughter. You see, she and Enzo... "

VITO CORLEONE: "You want Enzo to stay in this country, and you want your daughter to be married."

TOM : "Who should I give this job to?"

VITO CORLEONE: "Not to our paisan. Give it to a Jew congressman, in another district."

As Turnbull pointed out above, Vito knew exactly what and who to use depending on what the situation was.

A violent situation and a legal situation. Both handled by Vito accordingly.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.