Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Oh that contrived nonsense.

So am I to assume that you saw Samurai first, and thought so incredibly highly of it that any other interpretation of the same story you've seen since couldn't possibly be nearly as good (or God forbid any better!!)...

Or...

Are you just another artflick pawnfuck who goes with the flow of what every other ostensible "expert" thinks and is expected to say? ...even if something else might possibly be nearly as good (or God forbid any better!!)... ?

Neither, goofy. tongue

Don't you remember me as the guy who by leap years prefered John Carpenter's THE THING remake over the original THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD? Oh wait, you forgot of course. tongue

No I saw SAMURAI first, and with its methodical storytelling 3 hours of action, characters, dynamics, music, and filmmakers' intention of more a ambitious drama than simply another actioneer...A fucking perfect film. That's the sort of film that all kids in senior high school/college freshman should watch in one epic sitting...and always remember that whole viewing experience.

Anyway, Yeah I do think MAGNIFICENT SEVEN pales in comparison, if because director Sturges was more interested in yet another entertaining western gun-show instead of Kurosawa's excellent blend of art and popcorn (think RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK for its time). And yes, I still think that MAGNIFICENT addage of the villagers turning on the gang was unnecessary.

That said, MAGNIFICENT is pretty good, with a classic macho cast(Brynner/McQueen/Bronson/Coburn/Vaughn/Wallach), and a great memorable soundtrack from Bernstein. So I'm not dissing it. Its a classic, deserves the love...but head-to-head, SAMURAI chops its head off.