My 2¢ -

Eddie Collins is generally regarded as the best second baseman of all-time. He didn't have the batting average of Hornsby (but only Ty Cobb beat him) BUT he was considered a much better fielder and his .333 average wasn't too shabby.

He was before my time, so I can't add anything personal, but the best second baseman I ever saw was Joe Morgan. Good hit and field and a tough player. Honorable mention goes to Nellie Fox (White Sox of the 50s/early 60s).

There's no doubt in my mind that a decent player on the Yankees gets much more recognition than a decent player on any other team. It's more than just playing in New York City .... Mets players get good national recognition BUT less than Yankees players do. I suppose it has to do with the Yankee "tradition" of having big name stars.

FWIW - Koufax and Mays DID play in NYC at the same time but Koufax was not an effective pitcher when he pitched in Brooklyn. When we had three teams here, the 50s were a magical time in NYC. There would be ongoing, endless arguments over which team had the best centerfielder... Mantle, Mays or Snider. I always felt that Duke Snider was the best at that time and his stats certainly back up my thoughts (at least partially).