Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
I have to disagree, DC. Yes, it's pork. Perhaps, however, it's pork for a reason. Those prevention programs may be in danger because local legislation can no longer fund them (for example, I know that both my state and county have publicly funded smoking cessation programs). With the squeeze on local governments, perhaps those programs are in danger of being suspended, and a congressman is pushing for the pork in order to keep those important programs active for his or her constituents.

I'm not saying that this arm-twisting is new or unusual, nor am I happy about it. However, as I know that you are an experienced businessman, you should know that there's always some compromise to get something accomplished. Just because there's a new face in The White House, it's naive to expect less.

A new face in the White House has absolutely nothing to do with what I am trying to point out in regards to this bailout program. I don't care if George Washington was the President right now. It has nothing to do with what's been added to this bailout!

Your point is well taken and what you say is true as far as wheeling and dealing goes in Washington. However, we're talking about a government bailout here in what very well could be one of the most historic financial collapses in the history of this country. We're not talking about everyday common bills be presented, negotiated and passed with the average "pork" package attached to it.

We're talking about a very crucial bailout package here. One that basically is intended to get mainsyream America, the working class and corporate America back on track. A package that hopefully will help the country avoid finacial disaster.

I'm sorry, these are not normal circumstances. Under these circumstances those boarderline pork ad on packages must be more closely scrutinized and the personal politics and deals must be set aside for the betterment of our nation as a whole. PRIORITIES MUST be set now!

I know that right now, priorities tell me that $400 Million in THIS kind of a bailout, under the current circumstances, would be better used to save homes than to prevent sexual diseases.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.