After the Atlantic City shooting, in Connie’s apartment, Michael says: “Let's get a message to Joey Zasa. I respect what he's done. The new overthrows the old, it's natural.” When Vincent protests, “How can you do business with this guy?” Michael replies: “I'm a businessman, first, foremost. I want no further conflict with anyone.”

Then he has his diabetic stroke, and while he’s incapacitated, Vincent, Neri and Connie decide that Zasa must be whacked. But, as soon as Michael recovers and is alone with Vincent, he chides him for the murder. He tells Vincent: “It was the wrong decision. I command this family, right or wrong! It was not, what I WANTED!” he spits out through his teeth, nearly having another stroke in the process.

What did Michael want? Was he really about to capitulate to Zasa right after the shooting, when it was clear that he wasn’t intended to survive? Did he think Zasa would spare him after he sent his message of “respect”? Or was Michael playing the classic Vito ploy of appearing to be weak before his enemy, the better to buy time to figure out what to do? Or was it simpler than that: Michael the controller demanding to be in control all the time, even when incapacitated?

And why didn’t Vincent, Neri and Connie wait until Michael was well enough to give the ok to whack Zasa? Was it simply kill or be killed? Or did Vincent lead the charge because he was afraid that Michael really would cave in to Zasa—cutting off his prospects to become the new Don Corleone?

Your thoughts?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.