As for the Outfit, a lot of the major players weren't touched. DiFronzo, Adriachhi, Caruso, Matassa, D'Amico, Fratto and Torrebene weren't even indicted. Zizzo was killed before he could even go to trial, so he's been replaced. Lombardo is still giving orders through his cell, and Marcello was a front for DiFronzo.

That "bust" was three made guys (Lombardo, Marcello, and Zizzo) and a slew of associates, the damage it did to the Outfit will be minimal over time.

Look around the country for a second...Ligambi has been running Philadelphia since '99...no indictments. Manocchio has been running Providence/Boston since '96...no indictments. DiFronzo has been running Chicago since '93...no indictments. Tocco has been the boss of Detroit forever and has only served one year in prison. Dotaro hasn't been indicted and he's been the boss of Buffalo since the mid 80s, though Falzone could be the boss now, unsure about that. That zip Guarrci has been running the DeCavalcante's for a while now...no indictments.

What does the above mean? Well after 9/11 the feds had to spread a lot of their resources out due to counter-terrorism, the result was the bulk of their OC agents were all in New York watching the Five Families with very little watching the other signifcant families around the country. Now if the feds want to go after these families they will have to play catchup like they did in the late 70s/early 80s.

The "fall" of LCN has been greatly exagerrated by the feds and the media, it's become another form of lazy journalism. Are they as strong as they were in 1979? No. But they are far from being supplanted and being wiped away anytime soon.

"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"
Paulie "Walnuts" Gaultiere - The Sopranos