Scarfo-Riccobene War: 1982-1984

After Scarfo was installed as boss in late 1981 he implemented the street tax in Philadelphia and South Jersey, which requires all independent criminals operating on Mafia turf to kick up some of their profits. Angelo Bruno never used and Phil Testa...well he never had a chance to.

Harry "The Hunchback" Riccobene a mob soldier was completely independent from the family despite being made and figured he should be an exception to the rule, Scarfo didn't. After being tired of waiting, Scarfo reached out to Mario "Sonny" Riccobene through his Consigliere, Frank Monte. If Mario killed his brother Harry, the two hated each other, he would be made as would his son. Mario instead told his brother Harry and had two members of faction, Joseph Pedulla and Victor DeLuca kill Monte...this set off the war.

Scarfo soldier, Salvatore "Wayne" Grande managed to shoot Harry six times but failed to kill him. The Riccoebene faction struck back ambushing Salvatore "Salvie" Testa, son of Phil, he was hit by a shotgun blast and nearly had his left arm dismembered. Problem for Scarfo was that both Harry and Mario Riccobene were in prison, the Riccobene faction also couldn't target Scarfo since he was serving a short stint in prison as well. Scarfo soldiers Nicholas "Nicky Whip" Milano and Philip Narducci stalked and killed Riccobene faction member Salvatore "Sammy" Tamburrino...in front of his mother. During this time the son of Mario Riccobene, Enrico, learned he was target of Phillip "Crazy Phil" Leonetti, Lawrence "Yogi" Merlino, and Salvie Testa. Enrico was so scared of the three he committed suicide, Testa and Leonetti joked "We don't even have to use bullets". Enrico was a civilian but Scarfo wanted him killed anyway because he was related.

Scarfo's top target became Robert "Bobby" Riccobene after it appeared that neither Harry nor Mario were to leave prison anytime soon. Scarfo soldier, Francis "Faffy" Iannarella shot Bobby while he was fleeing his house, he was struck in the head by Iannarella's shotgun blast. Bobby's mother tried to block Iannarella but he smashed her with his shotgun.

The Riccobene faction made one last attempt on Salvie Testa and Joseph "Joey Pung" Pungitore, the the hit failed and it was the last shots of the war. The hitmen who killed Monte later became informants and testified against Harry and Mario, both got life setences. Mario became an informant after his got his sentence. When John Stanfa became boss and the threat of Scarfo gone, Mario left WPP and wanted back in the mob despite being rat. Stanfa had Gaeton "Gator" Lucibello (Currently a Philly Capo) kill Mario in 1993 while eating lunch.

Of course there was also the Merlino/Ciancaglini-Stanfa/Piccolo War between 1991-1995 but my hands hurt of typing!

"When my time comes, tell me, will I stand up?"
Paulie "Walnuts" Gaultiere - The Sopranos