Originally Posted By: Lilo

If the Don were still in control, does Sonny go on his roaring rampage of revenge? mad

No, because Vito would still be in charge. Vito would want to settle scores, but not via an all-out war.
Quote:
Does the war among the Families still happen?

Probably not. But it's a thoughtful question, Lilo. If Vito survived, it'd still leave the big picture unresolved: can one Don block the drugs business for all the Dons? I envision that, after the attack failed, Sol would go underground and Tatt would run to Barzini in panic. Barzini would call for a sit-down with Vito and propose a "political" solution: Sol got "impatient" with Vito and acted "on his own." Tatt, because he vouched for Sol, owes Vito an indemnity--he has to whack Sol and perhaps pay cash to the Corleones or give them some of his non-prostitution business.
BUT: Barz also would tell Vito that there's so much money in drugs that nothing will stop it--"just look how this nobody, Sollozzo, took it on his own to try to kill you, and he almost succeeded. There's going to be nothing but trouble ahead unless you agree to let us draw the water from the well..." Tom would support that view because that's what he believed from the beginning. I'm guessing that Vito, mindful of the disaster that would have befallen his family if he'd been killed, would reconsider his opposition to drugs.
Quote:
Does Fredo start to get more respect from everyone?

Definitely--starting with his father.
Quote:
If Fredo is still around and doing well there's no reason to send him out west..

Maybe. Vito evidently had designs on Nevada, as attest his giving Moe Green money to finish his hotel. He probably didn't send Fredo out west because had little confidence in him. If Fredo had saved his life, perhaps Vito would have had more confidence in Fredo, and given him a "real" job to explore out west. Maybe he would have proven himself (to Vito) tough enough to stand up to Moe.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.