Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I don't know what publications you read, but it got rave reviews from just about everyone. Ledger's performance imho ranks close to Brando's iconic performance in The Godfather.
Yeah, the film dips significantly when he's not onscreen, the same way The Godfather sort of wanes when Brando's absent. But Brando's is a great performance in a fine ensemble; Ledger's the star attraction in a weak pool. And I see no reason why his performance must be put on the same platform as Brando ahead of every other great acting display out there, much less a year after Daniel Day-Lewis's performance in There Will Be Blood - that pretty much obliterates everything around him.

There's more to The Dark Knight than Ledger's performance though. It aspires to social relevance, to political realism, to psychological plausibility; none of which can possibly be achieved in the fictional city of Gotham. In order to achieve any of those three things, you'd have to change the fundamental elements - ie. an urban environment in which the high levels of crime are in flux with all other social and economic factors leading to it; also, a hero who doesn't dress as a bat as a result of violently being orphaned as a boy.

I've read my fair share of critical writing on it; it didn't make Sight & Sound's top ten, but a few contributing critics have it in their personal top five (January issue). Again, their reasons aren't convincing enough for me; they find great enjoyment in the film but either ignore or fail to notice its (reactionary) political ideologies or self-defeating 'artistic' intentions (which arise from commercial needs, not artistic ones). Ebert loves it, of course - never a good sign.

But all the praise amounts to vague buzz-phrases. The film could have been amazingly fun, but it shoots itself in the foot with all the "omg anarchy is evil" bullshit. It's empty, artistic dishonesty.

There's a fuller discussion here, from which much of my opinions on the film stem.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?