Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

What do you mean by this?

I simply say it has the "Eraserhead" feeling. Feelings are very subjective and I see no reason as to explain why some settings and atmosphere echos a certain deja-vu, do I?

But then I can't recall "Eraserhead" without recoiling from the taste it has left.

Quote:

I don't really see a need to compare the two films, nor the filmmakers behind them. Other than, perhaps, narrative pattern: moderately weird first and second acts followed by a seriously surreal and chaotic final third, at which point the viewer is either drawn further in or loses interest completely.

As I say the need seems to be subjective to your own perception.

Quote:

There's sense behind Eraserhead, though...

So would you mind explaining the sense behind it?

Quote:
Lynch isn't putting together "random bits with little purpose". Though he might work more intuitively than the Coens (or any other filmmaker), it's not really random at all. Each of his scenes, even the unscripted ones, are set up to specific lighting requirements, with consciously chosen locations, with actors consciously casted in certain roles; then when he pieces it together in the editing room he's not leaving anything to chance - there's a conscious decision being made with each and every cut, dissolve or other transition. Like any artistic judgement, there's a reason, conscious or not, why you'd juxtapose this image with that image (for instance), why you'd go in for a close-up there and not an establishing shot, why you'd play this music or that music over certain types of images.

Random's an odd word when describing a product of conscious decision-making.

Well, he says so himself. I remember reading something to this effect in one of his interviews, at which point I totally stopped reading or caring for what he does altogether. And you know, I used to be a fan, but then I watched "Eraserhead." Well, I still like "The Elephant Man" and "Mulholland Drive" I suppose. But even in "Mulholland Drive" you could see this pattern of putting bits randomly together. You may say it has purpose, but to me, it is as purposeful as a playful kid with a brush in one hand and a pallete in another, doing whatever comes to his mind on canvas, without having a big picture in mind.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones