Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Originally Posted By: Longneck
an 8 page paper on luck vs. skill in poker I wrote

I'd love to read that, actually.

Seems wordy, though. It pretty much boils down to this: You can only go so far w/ poker skill, but luck can make or break anyone. wink

It's pretty repetitive, I could have done a much better job on it.

Poker is a game about people, anyone that tells you that it’s about cards either doesn’t know much about it, or they play limit games. A limit game can be about the cards, but in a no limit game it’s all about people. The cards are just a small factor, much in the way that luck is only a small factor when it comes to poker. A person can have a great advantage if they are able to tell what each person holds by the way they act and the tells they give off. Knowing when to hold em and when to fold em, as the song says, can be very valuable. But even so, like in life, you can do everything right and everything still goes wrong.

I needed to explain better that this is throughout the long term.

The subject of poker is nearly endless. That is what makes it such a fun and exciting game. The possibilities are endless when it comes to strategy, unlike chess or other games treated as skill games instead of games of chance. Poker has exploded into the mainstream and has a newfound popularity. With the complexities of the game, poker can be challenging and competitive. The sense of competition is what drives many people to try to become the best. Calling poker a game of luck is an insult to people who work hard to become a great player. Professional poker players wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t about more than just luck.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.