Originally Posted By: Mignon
Did anybody have these kind of roller skates?

Wow, Mig, yes, I had those! One size fits all, right over your sneakers! lol

I haven't been following this thread much, but as a kid I remember:

1) We had an antenna on the roof, and had to adjust the rotor (that turned it) toward either the NY or Philly station we wanted. Was there more than the 3 networks and PBS at the time on VHF? UHF was kinda useless, but sometimes you could find something.

2) Toys were built to last, out of metal or a much sturdier plastic than you get today. Anyone here buy any "classic" games or toys just to be disgusted with how cheaply they're made these days?

3) Our old B&W TV was relegated to the cutting-edge video game called Pong. We later upgraded to Atari -- snail-slow movable blocks in full primary colors! lol There were handheld video games, but they were limited to either LED lights or very primitive monochromatic LCD graphics.

4) We had a milkman as well. They delivered in typical quarter containers, but I remember we had some glass milk bottles in the garage they used previously I assume.

5) Before today's typical 2-liter plastic soda bottles, we used heavy-ass glass bottles that held I think 64 oz?

6) iPods with 1000s of songs? Forget it. Around '79 or '80 Sony came out with the Walkman that held one cassette tape. Portable radios? Just AM at first.

7) My dad and older brother had 8-track players in their cars. In about 6th or 7th grade I got an all-in-one record (vinyl) player with cassette, 8-track, and AM/FM radio. eek

8) I remember hearing air raid sirens often, but I believe at that point they were just used to alert about fires.

9) When cable TV came out, it was a wired box with 3 rows of buttons. That was the remote. There used to be a trick with aluminum foil to descramble the Playboy channel, but I never got it to work very well. whistle Our first "HBO Guide" (they used to mail them to you each month) had King Kong (1976) on the cover.

10) We had a drive-in theater nearby, but I can't with total confidence remember being there. But I think so.

11) Lunch tickets in grade school were 15c I think, maybe 30c. Can't quite recall at the moment. They were green, and you'd tear them out of the book you bought each Monday.

12) Do they still have book mobiles? I always looked forward to getting new Encyclopedia Brown books! grin Also, even before that, we could order books thru Scholastic Book Club -- I think that was in kindergarten. Through that we'd subscribe to Dynamite and later Bananas magazines -- that was mid-to-late 70s, and I think I still have them somewhere. Then there was the good ol' Highlights for Children you'd see at every doctor's office, even now! In the classroom, we had Weekly Reader.

13) Some of the earliest kids TV shows I recall and watched: Wonderama, New Zoo Revue, The Patchwork Family, Sesame Street, The Electric Company, Zoom, Mr Rogers Neighborhood, The Magic Garden, Captain Kangaroo, H.R. Pufnstuf, Land of the Lost, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters (gotta love Sid and Marty Krofft!), Fat Albert, Gumby, Davey and Goliath, Mickey Mouse Club (1950s series reruns), The Wonderful World of Disney, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, Punch and Judy (was that part of another show?), Howdy Doody, ...there are a lot more, I'm sure. whistle

More to come...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations