Originally Posted By: J Geoff

Lower East Side I think of Little Italy, Chinatown, the Bowery... With the Village, Bohemia, basically.

Upper West Side I consider money. Big money. Donald Trump and shit. lol

Yeah, pretty much, Geoffy. The upper west side has gotten very pricey over the last few years. Actually, the apartment values on the upper west side out priced the apartments on the upper east side last year for the first time ever. However, the west side still seems much more relaxed. The locals much more "artsy," a bit like Greenwich Village.

Speaking of Greenwich Village, Geoffy: Don't forget that most of the village is on the west side. Although, over the years, realtors did start referring to the whole area that you mentioned (the Bowery, Soho, etc...) as the "East Village."

Regardless of what you call them, ALL of these neighborhoods have gotten very expensive since the Dinkins era (the worst mayor of my lifetime). Like him or not---and I can't stand him as a person---Rudy Giuliani's 8 year crusade on this city left it much safer, much trendier, and both the property values and rents have exploded.

I'm not sure if there's another city in the world where some people are willing to pay almost $3,000 a month for a one bedroom (on average) and think it reasonable.

But it's still New York. smile

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.