Originally Posted By: Karl9905
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Karl, I am confused by your remarks. This is a celebration for ALL people. In this country, when "separate but equal" (which was anything BUT) was the norm, when seats were doled out by race, when housing was denied based on gender or race, when all of this was only too recent, to see a man that is half African succeed to the highest office in the land, it certainly reason to celebrate, because it shows how far we as a nation have come.

Nobody is "on top". If this election proves anything, it proves that barriers have been destroyed.

This is not what I feel is coming to light here. And after reading several comments by other board members, in this very thread, I think race is a sore spot to many.

Enough already, we all know where he came from. It seems like everybody has to keep saying it over and over again. No wonder some people feel like it is being stuffed down their throat. He is a person, a man, skin color shouldn't be the most important point here.

The news media has done nothing but show as many times as they can blacks celebrating, like they just got there freedom or something. There is an old saying, if you don't want to be singled out, then don't single yourself out.

He is the President Elect Obama. NOT President Elect BLACK Obama!

That is my point.

Obama's been clear from day one (perhaps to a fault) that he intends to be President of all Americans. If anyone is concerned that Obama wouldn't be I would just ask them if they thought that all the previous Caucasian Presidents were only representing white people.

In any event it was a historic event. Considering the history of the country it is certainly should not come as a surprise that many Black people were especially happy and overwhelmed to see Obama win. There are still quite a few people alive who grew up under segregation after all. There are even a few very rare Black people living who are children of former slaves.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/10/27/1027jones.html

The writer Steve Barnes gives a particularly poignant explanation of the feelings of pride, acceptance and the validation of his belief in America as he watched the election results.

http://darkush.blogspot.com/2008/11/ok-so-hes-not-as-smart-as-i-thought.html

This blogger also gives credence to the historic nature of the event even as he cautions us that ultimately Obama is a politician and true change comes from the individual.

http://www.averagebro.com/2008/11/random-thoughts-on-day-after.html

So I don't think that anyone should feel threatened or put off by people, Black people celebrating. As far as getting "singled out", if you're Black that happens a wee bit more than you might like anyway... whistle

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungleā€”as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.