Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Lilo,
Whether it's here discussing the campaign, or talking about the Godfather films or the novel, you are quite knowledgeable. Your posts are always quite intelligent and well thought-out. I've been meaning to compliment you, and I apologize for not doing so before this.

That said, who watched Obama's prime time special?? I thought it was quite good. His use of people he's met on the campaign trail who are struggling with the every day stuff - kids, homes, healthcare, retirement - without demeaning them by giving them cute little nicknames, was an excellent concept.

What I noted was the terminology that Obama using. If he's elected, he'll probably be our most liberal President in over 40 years, and yet he repeatedly said "no payouts" and that people should be responsible economically and in raising their children.

Folks, those three points are usually associated with social conservatism. Notice the connection when the next possible First Lady talked about reading with the children those HARRY POTTER books, and then later they showed that Ford plant family, with the father reading to his kid.

I'll add to my analysis of the infomercial that it may have been also an attempt to reassure folks that Obama may be a liberal, but not a Ted Kennedy/Walter Mondale liberal of old.

THEN McCain campaign airs its response ad after the special on MSNBC, and notice the difference between the two approaches.

Obama's special was intended to be warm, colorful, optimistic, fuzzy-gooey, feel good, while McCain's ad-response was greay, bleak, depressing, arguing how things are awful now and things will get worse if Obama is elected.

Whoever decided on that specific ad in response to the special should BE FIRED.

I mean what the hell? Look at 1980 when Carter/Reagan had their own infomercials. Carter's was focused on how times are rough and so on, while REagan's was more upbeat and well, feel good with the babies, flag-waving, flying Bald Eagle, etc.

When the two choices are between feeling good and feeling bad, its like picking between a summer blockbuster where the heroes win, and a downbeat arthouse Oscar-bait where the villains win.

Which option will most people pick?

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 10/29/08 09:18 PM.