Originally Posted By: Saladbar
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
An interesting report by Rolling Stone magazine on John McCain's Military Record, which include 3 crashed planes(!) before his 5-year POW tenure.

Make-Believe Maverick

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/make_believe_maverick_the_real_john_mccain

Interesting article. But 3 planes (which cost us the equivalent of 8.6 million dollars [in 2008 dollars] )? I read it was 4, and a fifth was blown-up where he became a POW. BTW Did you know he was a POW? wink

AND he was allegedly in command of the aircraft from which the rocket was fired which put a crater in the deck of the Forrestal and started a fire killing 134, injuring 161, and destroying 21 aircraft.

He NEVER would have been a pilot in the first place being at the bottom 1% of his class if it weren't for his high ranking connections.

From what I understand, that stray rocket wasn't fired from McCain's plane, but that his plane was the one that got hit, which exploded and caused that chain-reaction.

The guy has a questionable military record, pre-POW days, but I don't think it was his fault at all for that fire, though you can argue how dickish McCain was after that incident, if that ROLLING STONE article is to be believed.