It wasn't, in my opinion. But that's because of hindsight. Hughes is still going to develop into a decent pitcher (whether he'll be the ace as projected, I doubt. I think he could be a solid #3 or #2 at best, which isn't bad...he can be the next Pettitte I'd take that). Kennedy is done. The kid just does not seem to have the mental/physical capacity to convert his game from the minors. It's like he loses all faith in his stuff, dances around the corners, and then throws a meat pitch.

Melky I like a lot but I know he is not a favorite with the organization. To an extent, I think he earned the role of scapegoat for the offensive woes, but in my opinion, nobody should expect Melky to be more than a decent #9 hitter (which he is). His defense in center - something we haven't had since Bernie in his prime - balances the scales. So I'm glad we kept him.

Also, don't forget that part of the deal also included Austin Jackson, the Yankees #1 outfield prospect. If he is any good, we might see him next year; he should be playing AAA ball this season and if he stays on his current path, could really make some noise.