Originally Posted By: Lilo
So much to discuss!

I think the idea of Black Americans becoming formal made members of the Mafia is not going to happen. I don't think it's ever happened. The Mafia is not an equal opportunity employer. Many Mafiosi are profoundly, irredeemably and proudly racist. There have of course been instances when some Mafia families have done business with Blacks. This is usually on the Mafia's terms.

For example in The Way of the Wiseguy, Donnie Brasco points out that a Black associate who ran numbers for the Family in Harlem would come down to Little Italy once a week to settle up. However the Family had a rule barring Blacks from the social clubs. No exceptions. So the guy would have to wait outside, no matter what the weather. If the weather was bad the mobsters would get a kick out of making the guy wait even longer. It didn't matter that he was bringing them money. He was Black.

Here, the incarcerated Gotti shares some of his thoughts on Black people.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/blowingupgotti/

From what I've seen Gotti's views are par for the course.

Of course there are individual mobsters who get along better with Blacks. There have been powerful Black associates or rivals to the Mafia. But there aren't any Black Mafioso.

The Chicago Outfit was different, not in its views on Blacks but rather its view on non-Italians and mob hierarchy in general. The Outfit, at least during its heyday up through the seventies, was not exactly organized like a Mafia family. It was organized more like a corporation. In addition although the very top executive was always Italian, there were numerous non Italians who carried power in their own name, not just as subservient "associates". Accardo, Ricca and Humphreys made up a troika that ultimately even Giancana had to answer to. In the sixties and seventies, Hy Larner became a very big shot in the Chicago Outfit. He had Italians working for him. There was no question about who was "made" and who wasn't.

That aside , everywhere else though the only people who are eligible to get "made" are white males of Italian descent.

Most criminal gangs (especially in prison) are based on ethnicity. How many Black Hell's Angels or Aryan Brotherhood members do we see?

Thats exactly what I'm saying, I mean if it was organized differently doesn't it seem a tad likely that one could be a member regardless of ethnicity? If it's organized mroe like a corporation wouldn't techical "membership" be different than being a made guy? Ok fine I'll conede now until I'll actually read the book but I did remember reading an article that said it, why would I think othewrwise? *goes to his local library*

And yes gangs are usually based one ethnicity, espiclly in prison where it's their unifying factor. but theres pletny more examples of prominent street gangs that grew to let anyone in. i.e. LK, The Tiny Rascals, Vice Lords, Gangster Diciples (sp), etc.

Sure I wouldn't see a black in the aryan brotherhood but then again the entire theme of the AB is that whites are superior. Although they do work with La eme (which one of their founding members was a yugoslavian). But theres plenty of cases of multi-ethnic groups out there espiclly amongst street gangs.

I will be asking the questions! Because I don't know them!