Report: Bernie to return for sendoff

NEW YORK -- Bernie Williams is coming home to Yankee Stadium, one last time.

Williams told the New York Post that he plans to be in the Bronx as part of the pre-game festivities on Sept. 21, when the Yankees and Orioles will play the final regular season game in the Stadium's rich history.

A Yankees mainstay for 16 seasons and a key component of New York's four World Series championship clubs in five years from 1996 through 2000, Williams has not been to the ballpark since the end of the 2006 season, when he went unsigned as a free agent.

"It will bring me back to my first time in 1991, when I played my first game," Williams told the Post in Friday's editions. "It will be amazing. The fans are going to be great. I'm obviously very sad to see the Stadium go -- you have a lot of great memories -- but you move on."

The Yankees have not made an official announcement on Williams' appearance. Steve Fortunato, Williams' marketing representative, said, "Right now, there's nothing to report on anything to do with Bernie for Sept. 21."

A .297 career hitter, Williams has not officially retired and had hoped to be signed to a contract for the 2007 season.

The Yankees offered only a Spring Training invitation, which Williams did not accept, believing that his performance in 2006 -- when he batted .281 with 12 home runs and 61 RBIs in 131 games -- should have warranted a guaranteed deal.

In the two years that have passed, Williams, who turns 40 on Saturday, has used his free time to pursue a musical career that sparked during his active playing days.

Williams spoke to the Post at a musical performance that benefited Robinson Cano's Foundation Fundraiser at Frankie & Johnny's Pine Restaurant in the Bronx.

Williams was not present at the Yankee Stadium All-Star Game festivities in July, though he did make an appearance related to the MLB All-Star FanFest at the Javits Center in New York, leaving no question about his affiliation while wearing a striped Yankees polo shirt.

"I check the games once in a while," Williams said in July. "I like to check the guys that I built relationships with. I like to see them do well. I talk to Derek [Jeter] and Jorge [Posada] a lot, and Mariano [Rivera] and Joe [Torre]. I still consider myself a Yankee still. I don't think that will ever go away."

Williams was also conspicuously absent from the final Old-Timers Day at Yankee Stadium; the club explained that Williams had a long-scheduled vacation that prohibited him from attending. He told the Post that he did not want to discuss his baseball future.

"I wouldn't want to talk about that right now," Williams said. "I'm doing my music right now. I'm having a great time with my time off. I'm still training, so you never know."

The Yankees have not released details of the final plans for the Sept. 21 finale at Yankee Stadium. A source said that a memorable sendoff celebration will be held, involving many former Yankees greats and Hall of Famers.

Source: Yankees