Here's Senator Obama's statement:

"Let's just list this for a second. John McCain says he's about change, too. Except -- and so I guess his whole angle is, "Watch out, George Bush, except for economic policy, health-care policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy, and Karl Rove-style politics. We're really gonna shake things up in Washington." That's not change. That's just calling some -- the same thing, something different. But you know, you can -- you know, you can put lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig."

Well, your retort is quite an exaggeration (and I think you use ironic incorrectly). But, if the Republicans did state what you suggest about Obama, then, given the history of pejorative epithets that have been directed at black Americans in this country, Senator Obama would have legitimate grounds to take offense.

Nevertheless, while one may choose to engage in self-deprecation (such as Governor Palin's lipstick statement), one must keep in mind the legal rule that the defense cannot profit from its own mistakes. By her statement Palin opened up that line of jab.

Are women in the public arena to be protected, to be cuddled? If so, how will Palin fare if she does become Vice-president (or President) when she is faced with national or international recrimination?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."