Ferdinand fit for Croatia clash

Rio Ferdinand has been passed fit for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier against Croatia in Zagreb.

The Manchester United defender came through a training session on Monday after missing the victory in Andorra because of neck and back problems.

England coach Fabio Capello said: "Rio is fit for the game and it is good to have him available because he is a leader and an important player."

Ferdinand looks likely to return in place of Everton's Joleon Lescott.

And captain John Terry echoed his manager's sentiments that Ferdinand's experience of the big occasion would be crucial.

He said: "Rio's been the best centre half in the world over the last two years for me, so the fact he's fit is a great boost for the whole squad."

Capello declared a clean bill of health for his squad to leave him with several selection questions to mull over.

He has to decide whether to recall David Beckham in place of Theo Walcott and also admits he is undecided on whether to hand Joe Cole a starting berth after his two-goal cameo from the bench against Andorra.

Capello said: "I've got to think about Joe. He is very good for himself at the moment and very good for us. But I have to decide what the first 11 will be.

"It will be another game - and it will a different sort of game."

Cole has not started an England game since the friendly defeat away to France in March.

He came off the bench to earn a draw at home to the Czech Republic at Wembley in August and it was his introduction at half-time that turned the game in England's favour in Barcelona against Andorra.
But with England's lack of a goalscoring threat, it seems likely that Cole will be back in the starting line-up against Croatia in place of the ineffective Stewart Downing.

Terry said: "Coley came on with a fresh pair of legs and showed great movement for his first goal and the second one. They were two great finishes. He was fantastic.

"I am delighted for Coley. He has been on fire at Chelsea and he has come on and turned things. When he is not in the team he is really frustrated because he wants to play. I am delighted for him."

Capello opted for an experimental side against Andorra, with Theo Walcott earning a first England start on the right side of midfield.

The England coach was pleased with the teenager's introduction but is likely to bring back the greater experience of former skipper David Beckham or Tottenham's David Bentley.

But Beckham is not assuming he will add to his 104 caps against Croatia.

The Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder said: "Every player wants to play. We've got a very good squad of young players that want to play. Everyone in the squad wants to play a game.

"There are going to be disappointed players but that is the way it is in football.

"Do I expect a recall? We will have to wait and see. We have got players in our team that can play in any game of football, whether it be out here in Barcelona, where it is not going to be as hostile as on Wednesday, or in Zagreb.

"It will be a tough game but, although we might have some young players in our team, they have played in some of the biggest games in football with their clubs. They have got that experience."

If Ferdinand is fit he is set to partner Terry at the heart of the defence after Joleon Lescott filled in against Andorra.

Wes Brown may also be recalled at right-back after making way for Glenn Johnson, while the power of Emile Heskey could be preferred to Jermain Defoe up front. England lost both games against Croatia in their unsuccessful European Championship qualifying campaign.

There is a feeling that a point on Wednesday would be considered a good result but Capello said his side will be looking for all three when they go to Zagreb.

"Croatia will be another game, not like Andorra," he insisted. "We have to play to win, always.

"I followed Croatia a lot in the European Championship. They are a good team and when they play at home the fans help the players a lot. The fans are very strong in terms of emotion and passion.

"Are England good enough to get a result? Yes, I think so. I am confident in my team."

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon