Noonan, Murphy trash Palin on hot mike: 'It's over'

After a segment with NBC's Chuck Todd ended today, Republican consultant Mike Murphy and Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan were caught on a live mike ridiculing the choice of Sarah Palin.

"It's over," said Noonan, who then responded to a question of whether Palin is the most qualified Republican woman McCain could have chosen.

"The most qualified? No. I think they went for this — excuse me — political bullsh** about narratives," she said. "Every time Republicans do that ... because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at and they blow it."

Murphy chimed in:

"The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical."

Noonan's blunt call contrasted with her conflicted column today saying Palin "could become a transformative political presence."

"The Sarah Palin choice is really going to work, or really not going to work," Noonan wrote. "It's not going to be a little successful or a little not; it's not going to be a wash. She is either going to be magic or one of history's accidents. She is either going to be brilliant and groundbreaking, or will soon be the target of unattributed quotes by bitter staffers shifting blame in all the Making of the President 2008 books."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080903/pl_politico/20576

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The actual off-air conversation itself:

You know, that talk does bring up a good point....why wasn't Hutchinson picked?

Also, why didn't they bring this up on air? I'm sure that whole brief chat was more interesting in a political debate than whatever bullshit MSNBC was running last week in their less-than-stellar DNC coverage.