Originally posted by olivant:
No, that's not what I meant. I used the religion example to illustrate the use of the term infidel because it is in regard to religion that the term is most often used. Since Sollozzo and Vito were both Italian, one can presume that they were both Catholic if only nominally. Thus, it wouldn't make any sense for Vito to disparage Sollozzo's religious affiliation since it was the Don's affiliation also. But, because Sollozzo was so much associated with Turkey, a Muslim country, the Don, being Catholic, chose to use the pejorative term Infidel to refer to him.

If Vito was using the term Infidel to refer to Sollozzo's polyamy or his association with the Tattaglia family which was know for running prostitution, then he would have done so because he associated multiple wives and harem's with Muslims.
Olivant, with all due respect, I think back then Vito probably didn't even know what a muslim was!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.