Originally posted by olivant:
Don Cardi, how could you miss that one? In the novel Tom Hagen clearly tells Vito that he was called the Turk because he spent alot of time in Turkey, had a Turkish wife, and was known for expertise with a knife. It also says that given the way he looked he could have been taken for atrue Turk. With a name like Sollozzo, do you expect him to be anything except Italian.

As I stated in my post, infidel is a pejorative term that can be applied to anyone with whom one might have a serious disagreement or an alternative point of view. Since Sollozzo was Italian, the appellation of infidel was just Vito's way of expressing his dissatisfaction witht he man.

I did not miss that one in the novel. I am fully aware of the part that Hagen tells Vito that he is known as the Turk. However in your other post you say that Vito called him an Infidel and go on to explain that it was for religious reasons! That is the part that I question you on, I remember the part about his being known as The Turk, but I do NOT recall the part that Vito refers to him as an Infidel. Not saying that you are wrong, I just cannot recall that term being used by Vito! Where is that term used by Vito in the book, and how does it apply to a religious reference? I would like to go back and read the part that Vito uses this term for Sollozo so that I can interpret his meaning myself. Thanks!

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.