Originally Posted By: Tony Mosrite
congratulations to your relateds DB!

You american brats don't know what an individual achievement means to these guys. By the time Phelps retires he'll have way more gold medals than Brazil ever had in the history of the Olympics. today we won our 2nd gold medal - women's long jump - and you don't have an idea what happens to the people who get gold medals in here. of course that's why we choke on every decisive moment. the atheletes have to carry the weight of the country on their shoulders, while the authorities are playing the mob.

Both volley finals will be Brazil X USA and although Brazil has the best teams I wouldn't be surprised if we lose both.

I'm surprised Brazil has only two gold medals. But if they truly have the "best" volleyball teams (and I don't follow volleyball), they should win. Being the best means raising your performance at the most compelling times. If they choke at decisive moments, as you say, then I don't think they can be called the best.

Also, what does happen to athletes that win golds. If they receive national adoration and praise, I don't know how that contributes to athletes choking as you say. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't know whether Brazilian athletes are under more pressure to succeed than , say, Michael Phelps.

How are athletes treated, who are expected to do well, but fail? I know some places have treated them and their families crouelly. I recall a Columbian soccer player, who accidently knocked the ball into his own goal, was murdered by a mob upon his arrival home. That's an extreme and uncommon reaction, of course. But I would be interested in knowing what the national mood is concerning the Olympics. Thanks. smile