Originally Posted By: klydon1

Don't forget, George had it planned that Swindal,his drunken son-in-law, was going to run the team before his own flesh and blood. I think he realized his son had some shortcomings.

Let's not rewrite history. Swindal had his DWI and also had marital issues with Jennifer Steinbrenner, which is why he was "out." It wasn't like a crazy drunk was given the reigns, or that he was drunk beforehand. People make mistakes.

Similarly, the Steinbrenner brothers didn't want to take part in baseball operations. Actually, I'm glad that Hal is there, as he seems to balance Hank out.

Originally Posted By: Klydon1
They've poured big bucks on Giambi, Mussina, Sheffield, Randy Johnson and A-Rod and that didn't work out the way they had planned.

Giambi has been productive but injured. Sheffield was also productive. Johnson was also injured, but he did have a bunch of wins. A-Rod has been MVP. Out of all of them, I don't know how you can say Mussina hasn't worked out - since acquired, he has been absolutely fantastic, carrying the rotation at times.

The difference between signing guys like Sabathia and Teixiera is that a.) they are still young enough so that they will not be in a Giambi situation when they're contracts are up and b.) these players will be signed at their peaks, not after they have exhausted the 'magic'.

Manny is the only question mark. First, the Dodgers will have to decline their option years on him. Second, Manny will want a monster deal, but I say give it to him. We're cutting a whole lot of dead weight (and payroll) off of this team by waving goodbye to Giambi, 1 of Pettitte/Mussina, Pavano, trading 1 of Matsui or Damon, and Abreu. Heck, as you know, I didn't want to resign Posada either, but meh.

That alone will not only create roster space, it means there is more flexibility in the war chest. Frankly, Sabathia/Teixiera (or Burrell, frankly)/Manny is much more viable than Johnson/Giambi/Sheffield ever were simply because of their ages and current talent levels.

Adding Sabathia means we will finally have an elite pitcher (two if Joba continues to pan out), with Wang a notch below. Adding Teixiera means we've solved the problem at first base, as he's young and hits like a champ (he doesn't have to be a silver slugger). Adding Manny means we have arguably the most dangerous hitter in league in the heart of our order.

You can't tell me that the below roster wouldn't have a little more "punch" than what we've had this year:

Damon/Gardner/Christian
Jeter
Nady
Manny
A-Rod
Teixiera
Posada
Cano
Melky/Gardner/Christian

Also, another name I'd honestly be interested in as a sort of "freak" candidate is Rocco Baldelli. If he ever sorts our his medical issues - and apparently, he does have some whacked out things going on with his body - he's young enough and the Yankees have enough CF candidates where giving Baldelli a minor league contract would be low-risk high-reward.