In kicking around the Vito-Tom Hagen relationship, I get a sense that he was partial to Tom in certain ways..even above his own sons. There could be several reasons for this. Both Tom and Vito had similar early childhoods. They pretty much had to fend for themselves, and Vito, when he took Tom in from the street saw himself as a patron to him, and no doubt Tom was ever grateful and appreciative of the opportunity to grow up in a big family, be able to go to college and law school and then return the favor by helping Vito. Also he was more mature than Sonny, smarter than Fredo, and with Michael always rebelling, he was a steady hand. It is obvious that Vito and Tom confided in each other aboutmany things, including about Vito's children. Vito and Tom talked about Michael's future (to Michael's chagrin). They also talked about employing Connie's husband, and no doubt they talked privately about Sonny's temper and womanizing as well as what to do about Fredo. This closeness set up all Vito's sons to be jealous of Tom, and it showed.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."