Originally Posted By: Lucchese
In fact, I don't recall Vito ever lying to those he dealt with, with the exception of him lying to the Commission when addressing Michael's murder of McCluskey and Sollozzo (correct me if I'm wrong - I am on a regular basis lol). Vito's MO lessened the need to lie, whereas Michael's MO placed him in the position to HAVE to lie at nearly every turn. No doubt in my mind that Vito was the better Don.

And that statement "clear him of all these false charges" was not really a lie. He prefaced it by saying Michael had to leave the country because of "all this Sollozzo business." What he was telling the commission was that he was going to use his political and judicial influence to clear Michael and bring him home. He was also issuing a threat that Mchael was to have safe passage. Of course in the novel the way Michael is cleared is very different, but that's another post.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."