Vito was a master at getting other people to bend to his will, but he did it in a more nuanced way than Michael. Look how he treated Bonasera, for example. Can you imagine Michael telling someone who needed a favor that he wanted his friendship first? Vito's M.O. was to give everyone a chance to settle things in a non-violent matter before using force.
For example he went to the bandleader and offered hin 10K to drop Johnny from his contract in the early 40's that was roughly the equivalent of $125,000. Only when he refused the favor did he bring in Luca Brasi. Same thing with Woltz. When he turned down Sollozzo he did so in a measured way. Compare that to the way Michael insulted Geary after he tried to shake him down. Vito would have never done that, and my guess is he would have compromised him as Michael did, but probably in a way that did not involve the murder of an innocent person.
Michael was more of a paranoid and one to kill anyone who stood in his way. I think Vito was more clever and a better Don. He certainly was a better husband and father.

As for trusting people, I believe he fully trusted Genco, Tom, and Michael. He loved Santino but recognized his shortcomings ditto for Connie and Fredo. Micheal neither loved nor trusted anyone.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."