Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Car-crazy kids like me paid a lot of attention to that Hertz ad ("Let Hertz...put you-u-u-u-u...in the driver's seat!"). The car they showed was a '59 Chevy Impala ragtop. The front edge of the hood had a chrome "V" with a pair of crossed racing flags above it--indicating that it had the 348-cubic-inch "big block" V8, Chevy's most powerful engine for that year. That got us excited: imagine, we (more likely our parents) could rent a real high-performance car without having to buy one! Fat chance, though: the standard Hertz Chevy rental was the lower-end BelAir or Biscayne, with the dull, "Stovebolt Six" engine and two-speed Powerglide transmission. tongue

What was Michael Corleone driving in Miami? That had to have been a rental.

Maybe not, DT. I recall in the novel that the family had business interests in Miami. Wasn't Neri sent to a Family hotel in Miami as a reward towards the end of the book? I think so.

Anyway, if the Family owned a hotel or other small business down there, the car could easily have been registered to one of them.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.