Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The wittiest US TV commercials ever were put on by Volkswagen in the early Sixties. They poked fun at the humble Beetle while subtly extolling its virtues. My favorite:

A moonlit Maine snowscape. No voiceover, no music. Guy opens his garage door, starts up his Beetle, pulls out into heavy drifts. Plows through the drifts, with just the moonlight and the sound of the engine to keep him company. After a while, he pulls up by a big garage. Sound of diesel engine starting, door opens--and a snowplow pulls out.

Finally, the voiceover: "Did you ever wonder how the man who drives the snowplow gets to the snowplow?" clap

I think VW was one of the first major campaigns that mocked its own product. As I recall there were also some clever magazine ads connected with that campaign.

Speaking of clever ads in the 60's I always liked the Hertz ad where the guy flies into the driver's seat, and I see not they've brought it back.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."