Originally Posted By: svsg
Capo, I pointed out somewhere in the thread that the demographic (at least age/sex) split is almost the same for both the films. Probably that has got something to do with the nature of IMDB membership or internet usage patterns.
Yeah, I read that. It doesn't surprise me. Look at most of the top 250 films, and the demographic will be at least similar. I'd put it down to a mixture of these sums, which comprise a certain lifestyle or trend: cinema-going patterns, Internet-usage patterns, IMDb membership patterns.

Most people who claim The Godfather is the best film ever made (a pretty meaningless statement, really) do so on the grounds of its lasting endurance (I'd ask: to whom?), cultural significance (I'd ask: which culture?), and its technical greatness (I'd ask: what defines "technical greatness"?), or its universal themes (I'd be sceptical: "universal" in this critical sense pretty much means "Western").

For starters, even if I limit myself to those four defining factors alone, I can think of half a dozen films that are better than The Godfather.

IMDb's pretty useful as a reference guide, and it's fun to look at what its users vote their most popular film, but the notion of BEST FILM EVER MADE is meaningless.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 08/08/08 03:15 PM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?