Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Hmm, interesting. Thanks klydon. I wonder why they voted it out? I think it has global interest, especially from South American and Asian countries (most notably, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Japan)

Its definitely true. The IOC's decision doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean you've got: Canada, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Korea, Taiwan, the U.S.A. and Venezuela with a legit interest in the sport. That's ten countries over three continents (four if Central America is taken as a separate territorial division). Just take a look at the link under "Confederations/Member Federations" and it shows that there are 110 countries around the world that to differing extents play some form of organized baseball. Some of the more interesting are India, Iran, Kazakhstan(!), Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

What I could see happening is that if the IOC does not reinstate baseball over the next few summer games, the World Baseball Classic will become the true determination of the international champion of the sport in the same way that the World Cup is (and has been since 1930) for soccer.

http://www.ibaf.org/