What did the storm do in your community?

August 5, 2008
Recommend (2)

Post-Tribune staff report

Gary: The National Weather Service measured winds up to 68 mph.

A tree stretched across the road making it impassable on Connecticut Street between 47th and 48th avenues.

One street west in the 4700 block of Massachusetts Street, resident Tammi Washington reported Gary city workers arrived in the morning and moved a tree that was blocking the road. "I'm just glad that big tree didn't fall on my house," she said.

Her mother, Julia Bishop, said last year's August storm was much worse. "It took me three days to clean up my yard," she said.

At 47th Avenue and Delaware Street in Gary, a NIPSCO light pole nearly snapped at its base and arched at a 45-degree angle. Crews from the Indiana Department of Transportation worked at the site.

Griffith: Griffith experienced extensive damage. Winds of up to 80 mph tore roofs off houses and downed trees, which fell on cars and streets. A spotter reported seeing a funnel cloud Monday night. Survey teams from the National Weather Service are walking the area, assessing the extensive damage to determine whether a tornado touched down. Wind speeds in Griffith were measured at 80 mph.

Public works employees worked throughout the morning to clear major roads, remove trees and debris and assess damage. Town Council President Rick Ryfa said the area in the north side of town was hardest hit, suffering from downed trees and power lines and severely damaged buildings. The town’s safety committee will meet at 2 p.m. today.

Hobart: Fire officials said a southwest side houes collapsed after sustaining severe wind damage.The city’s public works director also reported 62 large trees fell during the storm.

Merrillville: Winds were measured up to 70 miles per hour.

Michigan City: A large tree branch fell on a moving car during Monday night's storm, killing the driver who leaves behind a 22-month old son. Timothy Decker, 23, died instantly from head and chest injuries, said LaPorte County Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman.

Portage: Police Sgt. Keith Hughes said the city did not receive much damage from the storm, although some roads were closed because water and debris. One building that was damaged was the police station, which got hit by lighting, he said.

Valparaiso: The roof of Jimmy Johns on Lincolnway was torn off by strong winds Monday night and ended up landing on a car. The loss of the roof lead to water dripping into Jimmy Johns and destroying all the inventory, General Manager Rhonda Mercaldo said.

Schultz Flower Shop on Calumet Avenue reported flooding that damaged merchandise. Owner Sandie Sims said the water had ran through her store and flooded surrounding businesses.

Valparaiso residents living east of Silhavy, from County Road 500N to Division Road, plus businesses in the industrial park on the city's east side are asked to limit the amount of water they are using because Knode creek has flooded a main sewage pumping station.

Wanatah: A law enforcement officer reported spotting a funnel cloud 2.5 miles east of Valparaiso at 12:28 a.m. Tuesday.

Residents of Wanatah spent the morning clearing branches and other debris from yards and roads after a tornado blew threw the rural town Monday night. Residents reported hearing sirens go off soon after 9 p.m., but the storm continued until early in the morning. Power outages were reported on the north and west sides of town. Roads east of the downtown area were virtually impassable from fallen trees, which were being cut by chain saws and removed.

Long as I remember The rain been coming down.
Clouds of Mystery pouring Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages, Trying to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder, Who'll stop the rain.