Good point Olivant. I was surprised to see that Obama was outspent by McCain given that Obama has far more resources.
Once this dust up about race and who said what first is out of the way and the conventions are held, Obama should be in a superior position to outspend McCain and close the deal in October.

In looking at why Obama is underperforming, given the wide lead he should have, I think most Americans still have their doubts, just as they did in 1980 when Reagan didn't really see a big shift to him until the final weekend of the campaign.

I read a good analysis about how Obama really cannot be pegged as anything. He's not fully black or white, he's not your typical Chicago Pol, he is not really from any region of the country, and the fact that he lived in Indonesia during many formative years has an effect on his mannerisms, his bearing and everything else, so in our eyes he is not a "typical American," and it probably gives people pause.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."