Short answer: sloppy writing.

Originally Posted By: olivant
When Tom goes to see Johnny and tells him about producing his own movies, he first tells him that he has no chance of winning the Academy Award. But a few paragraphs later he tells him that he almost certainly will win.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I remember that Tom told Johnny, "Your Godfather is much more powerful than you think." I guess he was trying to make the point that Vito could influence the Academy through his union connections.

Quote:
Why does Puzo never tell us Tessio's first name? He gives us Pete's. He gives us Sollozzo's, Barzini's, et al. Why not Tessio's?

Sloppy writing for sure. But perhaps he was subliminally telling us that Tess was a minor character compared with Clem, and a traitor-in-the-making?

Quote:
Why would Clemenza ask Sonny if he wanted him to send some of his people over to his house after his father was shot when Sonny had his own regime?

Clemenza had to know that he was under suspicioun at that point because Vito's shooting happened on his watch, so to speak. He had to make that offer--if he hadn't, it would have amplified suspicion.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.