Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Michael loses nothing by telling Fredo of Roth's plan to assassinate him.
his very anguished statement about the two of them not having spent time like this before. To me this i a dead giveaway that Fredo is the traitor, and it gives Michael the perfect chance to bring his enemies in closer by telling him about the asassination plot.

Now wait a minute. What if Fredo tells Roth that Michael knows? Then, any counterstroke Michael has planned goes out the window.

Also, I don't find anything in Fredo's "spent time" statement especially revealing to Michael. Michael knew that had kept Fredo at arms length for years, so it would be natural for Fredo to lament it.

Roth did take counter measures to avoid assassination. He checked into the Hospital and had a group of Batistas guards tome to protect him (in a nick of time).

Also you have to listen to the tone of Fredo's voice when he tells Michael "I was mad at you." It definitely implies he regrets SOMETHING.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."