Originally Posted By: stracci
I'm assuming Roth set this up in order for Frankie to feel betrayed by Michael.

I would like to put this to rest, once and for all:

Roth's plan was to lure Michael to Havana, get teh $2 million from him, and have him assassinated on his way home from the Presidential palace. So, according to Roth's plan, Michael would be dead before dawn on Jan. 1, 1959. The attempted killing of Frankie occurred days earlier. Why would Roth engage in an incredibly complex, incredibly risky, split-second-timed plot to have Frankie brought within seconds of death, and then have him rescued? So that he could testify against Michael at a Senate hearing months later, when, according to Roth's plan, Michael would already be long dead?

And, just suppose Roth did plan the cop's entry? How would he do it? Call a police lieutenant in the local precinct and say, "Hello, Shultz? Listen, I want you to send a cop to Richie's bar on Tuesday at 3:29 p.m. and 28 seconds...not 3:28, not 3:29 and 10 seconds, not 3:29 and 40 seconds--I want him there at 3:29 and 28 seconds. Got that? Good, let's synchronize watches..."

Years ago, someone here surfaced an early script treatment in which Roth was supposed to have engineered Frankie's rescue. It was never filmed that way. We can understand why: It's too far-fetched.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.