GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 538 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,848
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,435
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,529
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,428
Posts1,060,841
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: pizzaboy] #501057
07/21/08 11:39 AM
07/21/08 11:39 AM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I saw this film mainly because I loved what I saw of the previews with Ledger as the Joker. It intrigued me. Now, like I said I am NOT a Batman fan, and most likely won't necessarily go see any other follow-up Batman films, unless it seem appealing. Now Superman, that's another story. Ha ha ha...Don't know why, but I'd more likely see a Superman movie than a Batman. Go figure!!

Anyone notice that tv is showing all the Batmans this week? Not only that, they are showing probably all Ledger's movies as well. I started watching one last night with Ledger, it sounded pretty good, but unfortuantely it came on very late and I couldn't watch it. I forgot the title but he was a Priest and it dealt with the supernatural from what I gathered.

Poor guy would have been walking on air with the reviews his Batman performance is getting. Definitely his true "recognition" as an actor. What a shame. frown

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #501066
07/21/08 12:07 PM
07/21/08 12:07 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I definitely want to see it, but am waiting for the crowds to die down. One of my daughters went to the opening and absolutely loved it. Actually, she still hasn't stopped raving about it. My younger daughter tried to go with some friends on Saturday, but couldn't get in. I'm sure it will be playing for a long time, so I'm hoping to wait a week or so.

Capo, is it playing in the UK?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Sicilian Babe] #501075
07/21/08 01:18 PM
07/21/08 01:18 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
It comes out here on Friday.

I don't like seeing films in packed screens. I've done my fair share, and much prefer being one of only a few people there. The first screening on Saturday morning might be a good bet for me.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #501076
07/21/08 01:21 PM
07/21/08 01:21 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I might want to see it with a crowd on a second viewing, but definitely not on a first. Sometimes it's fun to share the experience.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #501080
07/21/08 02:21 PM
07/21/08 02:21 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I saw this film mainly because I loved what I saw of the previews with Ledger as the Joker. It intrigued me. Now, like I said I am NOT a Batman fan, and most likely won't necessarily go see any other follow-up Batman films, unless it seem appealing. Now Superman, that's another story. Ha ha ha...Don't know why, but I'd more likely see a Superman movie than a Batman. Go figure!!

Anyone notice that tv is showing all the Batmans this week? Not only that, they are showing probably all Ledger's movies as well. I started watching one last night with Ledger, it sounded pretty good, but unfortuantely it came on very late and I couldn't watch it. I forgot the title but he was a Priest and it dealt with the supernatural from what I gathered.

Poor guy would have been walking on air with the reviews his Batman performance is getting. Definitely his true "recognition" as an actor. What a shame. frown

TIS

I believe that's THE ORDER, from Director Brian Helgeland, which Fox took away and re-edited.....and I've never seen it, but people tell me that it's quite terrible. Maybe Fox should let him present his Director's Cut, because his original edit of PAYBACK (released last year) was badass great fun.

TIS, I've noticed "Batmania" on TV as well, for Jetix(aka Toon Disney) has been playing alot more BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES (brilliant smart program from the 1990s) non-stop, which is cool for a fan like me.

I haven't yet seen TDK (believe it or not) but I tell ya, Heath Ledger is probably a lock for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination...and win? Unless some stronger candidates come forward....

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #501085
07/21/08 02:34 PM
07/21/08 02:34 PM
California

California
Hi RR,

That's it, "The Order". I hadn't heard of it, and saw maybe the first half hour (although nodding out) tongue. It didn't seem bad, but I never really got to see it get off the ground. I might try again if they repeat it.

As far as an Oscar for Heath goes, I heard one critic (or commentator) note that nobody who had passed away had ever received an Oscar? Maybe a "special" award, but he says no oscar. That doesn't seem right, but maybe. confused

He said however, Peter Finch was one who did but I forgot the circumstances as to why he did and which movie. He also noted that Spencer Tracy was up for an Oscar for "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" (he died during the filming). He noted that Tracy did NOT win but instead his Co-star Kathrine Hepburn won. So, I don't know why one would be not included if the performance is worthy. I think he will be at least nominated though.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #501087
07/21/08 02:39 PM
07/21/08 02:39 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
What happened to Finch was, during the Awards Season, when Finch was up for NETWORK, he was in contention for Best Actor, but Robert DeNiro was racking up the hardware for TAXI DRIVER....then Finch died, and the sympathy momentum swung to him.

Finch was excellent in NETWORK, and you can argue he did deserve the Oscar. Then again, DeNiro sort of became a living legend with DRIVER, yeah?

Then don't forget James Dean, who had two Oscar nominations for two different movies in two different years after he died...and lost twice.

I think for Ledger's chance for the Oscar, it'll have to be that unless some 5 other serious contenders come along during the fall/winter movie season, or the hoopla over TDK fades by then....I just don't know.

Of course, Johnny Depp got similar universal praise for being Captain Jack Sparrow in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, even from people who hated the movie...his Oscar chances were written off, but Disney got behind that campaign with some hard cash, and boom, Depp got a nod for Best Actor, his first(believe it or not.)

But he lost to Sean Penn for MYSTIC RIVER.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 07/21/08 02:40 PM.
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #501092
07/21/08 02:54 PM
07/21/08 02:54 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
I think the film's come out too early for any Oscars.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #501094
07/21/08 02:59 PM
07/21/08 02:59 PM
California

California
Capo,

You mean "too early" in terms of a "time line" set by the academy or "too early" in the sense that many other films will follow and this may be forgoteen (so to speak?) and/or get more competition? confused

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/21/08 03:00 PM.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #501098
07/21/08 03:06 PM
07/21/08 03:06 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Capo,

You mean "too early" in terms of a "time line" set by the academy or "too early" in the sense that many other films will follow and this may be forgoteen (so to speak?) and/or get more competition? confused

TIS

I think he means the latter, for UNITED 93 came out in April 2005, did great reviews...then got forgottten/swamped by other movies. Same with last year with the brilliant ZODIAC, which got zero noms*.

But to counter Capo's logic, which is traditional wisdom, may I point to SILENCE OF THE LAMBS.

It came out in February 1991, and about 13 months later, it won the Best Picture Oscar.

*=Which was a travesty, methinks.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #501159
07/22/08 09:46 AM
07/22/08 09:46 AM
California

California
Just hearing on the news that Bale just got arrested for assault. Still sketchy, but they say his sister and mother turned him in.
eek
According to the report, Christian is not known for a bad temper or anything. I know nothing about him or his personal life. Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know. At first impression, he strikes me as soft spoken and easy going.

TIS

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #501198
07/22/08 12:45 PM
07/22/08 12:45 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Just hearing on the news that Bale just got arrested for assault. Still sketchy, but they say his sister and mother turned him in.
eek
According to the report, Christian is not known for a bad temper or anything. I know nothing about him or his personal life. Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know. At first impression, he strikes me as soft spoken and easy going.

TIS

Maybe he and Ledger bought into the nihilism and darkness of the movie too much.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #501384
07/22/08 04:38 PM
07/22/08 04:38 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
eek

TIS

Some reports are now saying it wasn't an actual "assault" but verbal assault, which is actually in the UK law books. But who knows what is going on.

Only thing I know is, THE DARK KNIGHT is a masterpiece, and I can't believe we finally have gotten a fully mythical tale of the Hero, without resorting to the goddman routine action plotting, the first since Milius' excellent CONAN THE BARBARIAN.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #501386
07/22/08 04:43 PM
07/22/08 04:43 PM
California

California
They just had a short story on this on MSN, asking if this assault, with Bale more or less turning himself in, was a publicity stunt. eek The reply from the reporter was, (and I agree) that it was not. This movie was so popular it didn't need something like this to get more publicity. I'm sure sometimes these things are planned, but honestly don't think it's the case here.

That being said, I am glad if it's "only" verbal assault. Not that it's a good thing, but, just the thought of physically attacking your own mother (not to mention sister) is kind of disturbing to me.

TIS

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #501387
07/22/08 04:46 PM
07/22/08 04:46 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
TIS, here is what I wrote at AwardsDaily. Its not a formal review, but a quick blurb:

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008) - ***** out of 5 - Masterpiece

So much to say, so instead I’ll say this: The myth of the goodness and evils of the Hero Cult, we have finally gotten at the movies without resorting into the goddman action plotting heroic dynamics that plagued even BATMAN BEGINS…..the first since Milius’ awesome CONAN THE BARBARIAN.

And its official: Sir Ridley Scott, sorry to tell you this mate, but you’ve just lost your crown as the King of British Film, and Christopher Nolan, as the new sovereign, you hereby are now a MASTER.

A MASTER filmmaker is one who’s cinematic vision is unique, easily identifiable to a film buff, and one worth waiting years for to get a new motion picture from. When a movie has “A _____ Film,” its a goddman trademark, and people will pay simply to see what you’ve brought to show the rest of us.

Congrats Mr. Nolan, and now lets hope this opening weekend’s record has given you the muscle to get Universal to greenlight your next movie THE PRISONER. Bring it on!

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #501388
07/22/08 04:53 PM
07/22/08 04:53 PM
California

California
Nice review RR. What do ya bet (you probably already know) that there is another Batman project in the works as we speak? wink Money always talks.

TIS

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #501401
07/22/08 05:42 PM
07/22/08 05:42 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
I've been avoiding everything that has to do with The Dark Knight because I want to see this movie so bad and I don't know when I will get to see it! When I noticed it has a 9.5 on IMDB and is #1 all time I just about told the kids to go beg for money on the street corner because we're going to see this movie now! lol

Of course there is no way it will stay at #1 all time... It can't possibly be better than The Godfather or dozens of other classic movies right?

Last edited by Blibbleblabble; 07/22/08 05:44 PM. Reason: added link

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Blibbleblabble] #501402
07/22/08 05:45 PM
07/22/08 05:45 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Literally right after I posted that it changed to 9.4 on IMDB. So it's already going down.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Blibbleblabble] #501403
07/22/08 05:47 PM
07/22/08 05:47 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
It can't possibly be better than The Godfather or dozens of other classic movies right?

Can Michael Corleone or Andy Dufresne fly? rolleyes

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: svsg] #501405
07/22/08 05:48 PM
07/22/08 05:48 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
lol No. They can't. I see your point.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Blibbleblabble] #501408
07/22/08 06:02 PM
07/22/08 06:02 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
I don't think it's better than The Godfather but it is a classic of it's genre in the same way. It's a masterpiece in the same way that Godfather is.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: svsg] #501419
07/22/08 06:38 PM
07/22/08 06:38 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: svsg
It can't possibly be better than The Godfather or dozens of other classic movies right?

Technically, can Batman? Doesn't he sort of glide?

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Sicilian Babe] #501427
07/22/08 07:14 PM
07/22/08 07:14 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Originally Posted By: svsg

Technically, can Batman? Doesn't he sort of glide?

Either way I'm pretty sure if Michael Corleone or Andy Dufresne jumped off the top of a building they would fall straight down. Very quickly. Batman can glide, so obviously The Dark Knight is a better movie.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Blibbleblabble] #501441
07/22/08 09:59 PM
07/22/08 09:59 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I'm with you, Blib. Sound reasoning and all that.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Sicilian Babe] #501449
07/22/08 11:18 PM
07/22/08 11:18 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I didn't know he could only glide. Imagine batman jumping off the roof of a skyscraper and trying to reach a window somewhere on the opposite building. If he misses it somehow, he has to to glide all the way down to ground and then climb up to the roof again lol

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: Blibbleblabble] #501477
07/23/08 09:41 AM
07/23/08 09:41 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Literally right after I posted that it changed to 9.4 on IMDB. So it's already going down.

It is back to 9.5 as of this posting.

We know Michael Corleone can't fly. Thats why he took the train.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #501493
07/23/08 11:35 AM
07/23/08 11:35 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Nice review RR. What do ya bet (you probably already know) that there is another Batman project in the works as we speak? wink Money always talks.

TIS

It's inevitable, I assume. But if it becomes a clusterfuck possibly like SPIDER-MAN 3...Mr. Nolan, don't bother.

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #501495
07/23/08 11:38 AM
07/23/08 11:38 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Yeah, but the question is: Will there be a Robin?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: dontomasso] #501498
07/23/08 11:42 AM
07/23/08 11:42 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Online shocked
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Online Shocked
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Well I finally saw this movie Monday night. I like some of you weren't that eager to see it for two reasons: (1) I thought BATMAN BEGINS was overhyped (it wasn't a bad film, it just wasn't as great as people made it out to be) and (2) I was tired of hearing about it on a day-by-day basis on the Internet. However, after seeing it, I do have these thoughts (in no particular order):

1) Health Ledger DEFINITELY deserves nothing short of at least an Oscar nomination
2) I would not at all be surprised to see THE DARK KNIGHT garner a Best Picture nomination
3) This is easily the best Batman EVER!
4) This is one of the best, if not the best (too tough to decide) comic book films ever made
5) Go see it in theaters
6) I'd love to see a Joker spin off movie like they're doing with Wolverine and Magneto.
7) I might see it again in theaters

Re: THE DARK KNIGHT [Re: pizzaboy] #501499
07/23/08 11:45 AM
07/23/08 11:45 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Online shocked
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Online Shocked
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Yeah, but the question is: Will there be a Robin?

No! Bale already said he wouldn't do it if Robin was part of the storyline. Now in terms of villains, who do you guys wanna see in #3? Personally, I'd like to see The Riddler and Catwoman (sans Halle Berry)

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull