GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 594 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,796
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,357
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,528
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,418
Posts1,060,588
Members10,349
Most Online911
May 23rd, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: pizzaboy] #498371
07/09/08 12:29 AM
07/09/08 12:29 AM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss

A Place in the Sun(1951) is a film which tells the story of a working class young man who is entangled with two women, one who works in his wealthy uncle's factory and the other a beautiful socialite. It stars Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor, Shelley Winters, Anne Revere, Keefe Brasselle and Raymond Burr. The film is best known for the celebrated dance scene between Clift and Taylor, shot in extreme closeup by director George Stevens.*

The movie was adapted by Harry Brown and Michael Wilson from the novel An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser and the adapted play by Patrick Kearney. It was directed by George Stevens. The film has been deemed "culturally significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_place_in_the_sun

Known as the ultimate American Tragedy, this film's narrative centers around George Eastman's (Montgomery Clift) moral and sexual ambiguity. Young George Eastman, a man with a lowly social standing, hitchhikes to Chicago in hopes of working at his uncle's suit factory. At the factory he meets Alice(Shelley Winters) and eventually the two begin a romance. But then, in one of the more notable scenes from the age, at the Eastmans' party, George feels out of place and seeks refuge in the deserted billiard room. While playing pool by himself, George is noticed by Angela (Elizabeth Taylor), and the two strike up a friendly conversation. As time goes by, and Angela and George's love grows, he finds out that Alice is pregnant and refuses to let George out of her life, it's then that he begins to entertain the notion of killing her so he can be with Angela. And Elizabeth Taylor is so very beautiful and enthralling, and the life at the Eastman's so inviting compared to his lowly social status that, the viewer can't help but be taken by she and George's passionate love for one another. When George entertains this notion of actually killing his fiance so that he and Angela can be together the viewer frighteningly finds themselves rooting for this outcome. The cinematography does an excellent job differentiating the night and day difference between the more beautiful and vibrant Taylor and the woeful and not as beautiful Winters.

In one of the most gut wrenching scenes I've ever seen (the scene where Elizabeth Taylor truly stole my heart forever) George is summoned by Alice on phone at the Eastman's party and she instructs him to come immediately, and that if he doesn't, she'll go public with her pregnancy. George makes up an excuse for his abrupt departure, knowing it may be the last time he ever sees Angela. Angela notices that the usually woeful George is especially distracted after the phone call, and as George looks into her beautiful eyes and angelic face he knows he could never leave her, that he must do whatever possible to avoid breaking her delicate heart. It's at that point that George has decided to kill Alice; it's at that point that audience wants him to kill Alice; and it's at that point that I knew I was watching one of the more intriguing stories ever conceived in literature or film. It's almost impossible for the viewer NOT to wish death upon Alice so that these two can be together...this films offers an insight into ALL of our consciousnesses.

I don't really want to give away the narrative with what happens next, but it's these remaining events that makes it one of the more uniquely creative films ever; the way that George deals with Alice (and the aftermath).
Click to reveal..
In the 'murder' scene, when the boat overturns, Stevens uses a long shot and then darkness to blur the issue. We do not see what happens but we know that when Alice upsets the boat she is frightened of George and then falls in the water: we feel her fear. We are left to make our own judgment about George's guilt.

^And THAT is what makes this one of the more uniquely original stories ever.

The first time I watched this film I was floored (obviously) by both Taylor and Clift's passion on screen. I honestly cried my eyes out throughout much of the picture. Monty Clift is so tender, so passionate, that you can't help fall in love with him and you want to help him erase his demons. Angela represents a solace for George to hide away from his checkered past. And the love and passion between them on screen is probably very similar to the love and passion they had for each other off screen. It's interesting that Monty Clift's emotions and problems in this film very much reflected his real life personality; a troubled, closeted homo-sexual and drug addict who is befriended by Taylor in real life, just as in the film. Taylor served as a catharsis for Clift until his early death; and perhaps that's what makes this film so incredibly personal --knowing the real life story between the two actors and then seeing it play out on screen is just simply one of the greatest things I've witnessed in film. I'm honestly getting teary-eyed just writing about the two. And then, in the final scene, we hear the line that we've heard throughout the movie...It seems like we always spend the best part of our time saying goodbye." frown The whole thing is just really emotional and offers an in depth look at all of our souls. The film is so heartbreaking that it's hard to re-hatch the whole thing to write a review. I think it's gotta be one of the greatest films ever made.

*=A Place In The Sun - George and Angela fall in love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEuFNnJSIw8&feature=related
This scene really captures that enthralling and cathartic like nature that Elizabeth Taylor had in this film -- and in real life as it related to her and Monty. Not as emotional as the "Tiki Torch party Farewell"; and I sure wish the pool table scene was on youtube; but note the line that would stick to Elizabeth Taylor throughout her entire career when she tells the depressed mama's boy..."Tell Mama. Tell mama all." That is HAWT!!! grin

A Place In The Sun (Trailer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2jJOkFg-wc&feature=related

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: pizzaboy] #498717
07/10/08 08:40 AM
07/10/08 08:40 AM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
The Don's Official Sooth Sayer
Santino Brasi  Offline
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
That is a great Movie PB, BTW man I love you Sig... who made that? wink tongue

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Santino Brasi] #498770
07/10/08 12:16 PM
07/10/08 12:16 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Santino_Brasi
That is a great Movie PB, BTW man I love you Sig... who made that? wink tongue

Some little homo from Vero Beach. Or was it Palm Bay? tongue

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: pizzaboy] #498775
07/10/08 12:21 PM
07/10/08 12:21 PM
Palm Bay, Florida
Santino Brasi Offline
Santino Brasi  Offline
Underboss
Palm Bay, Florida
Palm Bay, eh? I hear it's nice tongue

He - (Simón Bolívar) - was shaken by the overwhelming revelation that the headlong race between his misfortunes and his dreams was at that moment reaching the finishing line. The rest was darkness. "Damn it," He sighed. "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!"

So what’s the labyrinth?

That’s the mystery isn’t it? Is the labyrinth living or dying? Which is he trying to escape - the world, or, the end of it?
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Santino Brasi] #499124
07/11/08 01:12 PM
07/11/08 01:12 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Would A Place in the Sun make it at the box office today? Without explicit sex, the almost mandatory topless babes, the simulated(?) sex scenes - would it make it today?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: olivant] #499137
07/11/08 02:40 PM
07/11/08 02:40 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
All sex scenes in mainstream cinema are s(t)imulated.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #499673
07/13/08 12:43 PM
07/13/08 12:43 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I'm watching "The Trouble With Harry" now on TCM. It's Hitchcock's comedy about a dead body that keeps showing up and stars Shirley MacLaine in one of her first roles.

I've seen it a few times before and was never crazy about it but what makes interesting now is that I only just realized that the young boy who plays MacLaine's son is none other than Jerry Mathers who would later gain fame as tv's Beaver in "Leave it to Beaver".

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #499704
07/13/08 03:48 PM
07/13/08 03:48 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Joan Crawford - Actress #10 - Greatest Screen Legends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWp_q943zW4&feature=related

My favorite actress ever with Bette Davis and my kind of woman, oh yeahh...

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #499713
07/13/08 03:59 PM
07/13/08 03:59 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Elizabeth Taylor - # 7 Actress - Greatest Screen Legends
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lewcbHq9A1M&feature=related

"She was the most beautiful woman in the world..."

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #499720
07/13/08 04:07 PM
07/13/08 04:07 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Another good one:

Judy Garland - #8 Actress - Greatest Screen Legends List
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuk9d3yW3wg&feature=related

I can totally relate to Goldie Hawn becoming emotional during this, I get the same type nostalgia about our favorite stars from years gone by.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #499785
07/13/08 06:00 PM
07/13/08 06:00 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: SC
I'm watching "The Trouble With Harry" now on TCM. It's Hitchcock's comedy about a dead body that keeps showing up and stars Shirley MacLaine in one of her first roles.

I've seen it a few times before and was never crazy about it but what makes interesting now is that I only just realized that the young boy who plays MacLaine's son is none other than Jerry Mathers who would later gain fame as tv's Beaver in "Leave it to Beaver".
Here's what I wrote about it when I saw it last year:

Black comedy in which death is as overbearing as it would be in Vertigo, with Burks' cinematography bringing an autumnal reverence and the dialogue peppered with references back to the corpse causing problems; the difference is the matter-of-fact way in which everybody here goes about dealing with it. It should have been a lot funnier (especially with Edmund Gwenn, years after Hitchcock's The Skin Game) than it is, but the delivery is awkward for the most part. An interesting departure from material for which he was - and is - better known.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #499792
07/13/08 06:19 PM
07/13/08 06:19 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Here's what I wrote about it when I saw it last year:

Black comedy in which death is as overbearing as it would be in Vertigo, with Burks' cinematography bringing an autumnal reverence and the dialogue peppered with references back to the corpse causing problems; the difference is the matter-of-fact way in which everybody here goes about dealing with it. It should have been a lot funnier (especially with Edmund Gwenn, years after Hitchcock's The Skin Game) than it is, but the delivery is awkward for the most part. An interesting departure from material for which he was - and is - better known.

That's a good short review, and basically sums up my feelings too.

I once read that this was Hitchcock's favorite film, but I just don't get it.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #503053
08/06/08 12:40 AM
08/06/08 12:40 AM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
-TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" is now showing! TCM devotes an entire day's programming to a 'Classic' Star throughout the month of August. It's really the best time of year to see the greatest films from Hollywood's Golden Age and beyond. There will be new actors added to the mix this yr as well, those not yet spotlighted in the previous 6 yrs. So spend the rest of your summer under the stars, with TCM. Click Here

-And I think my next round of films will be Hitchcock's work with Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart. It was Hitch that helped the two get a little crazaye and talk a walk on the wild side of post-modernist film.

"JIMMYISCRAZY" smile

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #503367
08/07/08 07:50 PM
08/07/08 07:50 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Ice
-TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" is now showing! TCM devotes an entire day's programming to a 'Classic' Star throughout the month of August.

Tonight is Greta Garbo night!

I haven't seen much if any of her work so I hope to at least take a peek.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #503378
08/07/08 09:43 PM
08/07/08 09:43 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
I always look forward to the 'Summer Under the Stars' every August.

They've started off with a bang...Chaplin over the weekend, Claude Raines and Anne Bancroft earlier this week...3 of my favorites right off the bat!!

With Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Ingrid Bergman, Doris Day among others waiting in the wings it looks like it's gonna be a VERY entertaining month!!

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: AppleOnYa] #505975
08/23/08 10:26 PM
08/23/08 10:26 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
DVR ALERT: TCM is saving one of the best for last; Marlon Brando day on TCM's 'Summer Under the Stars' is next Friday Aug 29th.

There's still plenty of great stars in between there but that's 24 hrs of Marlon Brando next Friday. I don't recall TCM including him the last cpl of yrs so this should be a real treat, folks. They'll probably show some stuff gone mostly unseen by the casual viewing public.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #506003
08/24/08 01:43 PM
08/24/08 01:43 PM
War_Time_Consigliere Offline
Wiseguy
War_Time_Consigliere  Offline
Wiseguy
that's 24 hrs of Marlon Brando next Friday.

24 hrs from ole 'mumbles' can be too much to stomach even for the most die-hard fans. lol wink

Hey, are they showing GF 1-3? B/c I don't think 24 hrs is enough time. whistle

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: War_Time_Consigliere] #506005
08/24/08 02:55 PM
08/24/08 02:55 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Originally Posted By: War_Time_Consigliere
that's 24 hrs of Marlon Brando next Friday.

24 hrs from ole 'mumbles' can be too much to stomach even for the most die-hard fans. lol wink

Hey, are they showing GF 1-3? B/c I don't think 24 hrs is enough time. whistle

Okay take it easy, take it easy. Lot of Brando fans around here, bud. I'll be recording most of the entire day for sure.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #506926
08/30/08 12:05 PM
08/30/08 12:05 PM
I
Ice Offline OP
Underboss
Ice  Offline OP
I
Underboss
Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy (Two of Apple's favorites) are featured on TCM this weekend, a great way to close out August and TCM's Summer Under The Stars. Enjoy!

Last edited by Ice; 08/30/08 12:16 PM.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Ice] #507006
08/30/08 07:51 PM
08/30/08 07:51 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Pat and Mike is on now, but about to conclude. Pretty good stuff. Woman of the Year is next.

Last edited by olivant; 08/30/08 07:52 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: pizzaboy] #507658
09/03/08 07:46 AM
09/03/08 07:46 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
THE GREAT ESCAPE (1963) ****

Although I've seen this film at least ten times, I finally got to see it on the big screen last week, while I was in Florida. It certainly did not disappoint.

This is a wonderful film based on the true story of the largest escape from a German POW camp in World War Two. The story comes straight from Paul Brickhill's book of the same name, THE GREAT ESCAPE. The film is loaded with stars, was shot in scenic Bavarian locations, boasts excellent cinematography, and is accompanied by the late Elmer Bernstein's memorable score.

The story: Allied prisoners devise a mass escape from Luft Stalag III near Sagan, not too distant from Breslau, Germany (in an area in present postwar Poland). It is a Herculean undertaking in that the Kriegies dig three tunnels simultaniously complete with electric lighting, hand-powered trolly system, and forced ventilation. All of this takes place 30 feet under the heels of vigilant German Luftwaffe guards. Despite numerous setbacks and constant German interference, more than seventy Allied flyers escape captivity with three eventually making their way to freedom.

The movie also has a tragic side. Fifty recaptured prisoners were executed.

The escape tied up German manpower as the military districts throughout Germany were mobilized to round up the escapees. Though not portrayed in the movie, Hitler originally ordered that all recaptured POWs would be shot. Luftwaffe Chief and Reichsmarshal Herman Goering intervened and the quota was reduced to 50. The movie condenses this tragic event to a solitary remote pasture. In Brickhill's book the executions took place at several different locations.

THE GREAT ESCAPE has some great elements. The tunnel scenes are claustrophobic. No matter how many times I watch the film, I still empathize with the prisoners as some of their efforts are discovered by the Germans. At the latter part of the movie we follow the separate groups of escaped prisoners and their adventures in fleeing their captors. Each time I see the movie I still hope that these guys make it to freedom.

Time to also bring the film into historical perspective. The movie does a great job in conveying the spirit of POWs and their brilliant escape. However, also realize that this blockbuster had to be marketable to a wide audience.

The dirt, grime, overcrowding, and unshaven faces are missing from this portrayal of life in a Stalag. Movies like STALAG 17 and HART'S WAR were closer to the mark. The Sagan P.O.W. compound is brand new fresh cut pine and the Kriegie inmates are immaculately dressed and clean shaven. For convenience, the compound set was carved from a wooded lot adjacent to the Munich movie studio where the interior sets were being filmed.

In order to sell the movie in the United States, Americans had to play a role in the film. In real life, American flyers were involved in the early tunnel escavation, but were moved -- lot, stock, and barrel -- to an adjacent compound long before tunnels were anywhere close to the wire. History was slightly twisted and some of the roles stretched to keep some Yanks involved in the escape. As such, James Garner was an Eagle Squadron officer while James Coburn played the part of an Australian and Charles Bronson a Pole.

Steve McQueen was definitely the hook to draw an American audience -- and he knew it. By the time THE GREAT ESCAPE came along, Steve McQueen already had a reputation for being a difficult actor. Traditionally, McQueen's roles have always been that of an anti-social loner. His part is no different in THE GREAT ESCAPE both on and off screen. At one point, McQueen went AWOL from filming and threatened to abandon the production entirely. When his costars caught up with him, McQueen stated that he wanted to be the "hero" of the movie. However, in a film chock full of movie stars and story where only three flyers make it to safety, there was little room for a solitary hero.

To sooth McQueen's ruffled ego, he was offered a contrived motorcycle chase scene. The motorcycle sequence is typically McQueen as he insisted in playing both pursued and the pursuer in German uniform. McQueen even had his motorcyle buddy flown in from the States to double for him in the barbed war motorcycle jump sequence.

Okay, so some of the individual escape vignettes are more sensational than in real life. How long would anyone watch a film with escaped prisoners peeking around corners or hiding behind trees? There are enough truthful moments to sustain the story. For example, the theft and subsequent crash of the German airplane did actually happen, albeit without the assault on the German sentry.

I first saw this film on CBS as a two-part movie in the 1970s. At the time, I was not much of a POW movie fan (I was still a teenager). HOGAN'S HEROES was about all I experienced in terms of World War Two POW escapes. Immediately after watching THE GREAT ESCAPE I borrowed the Paul Brickhill's book from the library. Soon after I was reading other POW escape books such as KRIEGIE and THE WOODEN HORSE. THE GREAT ESCAPE started it all.

Over the years there have been several attempts at retelling THE GREAT ESCAPE both in book and movie form. In the 1980s a televison movie premiered titled THE GREAT ESCAPE: THE TRUE STORY. Unfortunately it was a pitiful attempt to update the 1960s original. About the only thing it had going for it was the fact that it more accurately portrayed the execution of the selected 50 officers and the postwar hunt for the war criminals responsible. Likewise there have been several books published that only serve to prove that Brickhill's researched account is better.

This review is plagiarised.

http://www.buyzillion.com/B0001GF2EM/Reviews/The+Great+Escape+2-Disc+Collectors_6.html

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: pizzaboy] #507663
09/03/08 07:56 AM
09/03/08 07:56 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME (1956) ***1/2

Newman does succeed in capturing the familiar Graziano mannerisms: the crude, New York-Italian accent; the mumbling; the sneers and pouts; the cocky strut, with huddled shoulders and shuffling feet. He has a nervous energy, wiping his mouth and nose with his fingers, rubbing his hands together, scratching his neck, and dancing around in one place, as if constantly facing an opponent in the ring.

This perpetual motion--even when he is seated--suggests a potentially explosive force that naturally finds release in fighting, and it contrasts with the generally listless movement of Brando and Dean. The role is tremendously showy, and it gives Newman a chance to play an extrovert, as contrasted with his character in THE RACK. And whereas his soldier was an intelligent man, his Rocky is almost subhuman, a purely physical being.

The film follows Graziano's impoverished childhood in New York's East Side slums, where he grows up in the streets, among hoodlums and gangs. His father (Harold Stone), a disappointed, third-rate ex-boxer, takes out his frustrations by drinking and by beating up Rocky; his mother (Eileen Heckart), is an unhappy, nervous wreck.

As a result, Rocky becomes a brutal delinquent, spending most of his youth in reformatories and prisons. Defiant, impulsive, striking out with his fists at anyone, he is seemingly incorrigible. Even the Army can't tame him--he punches an officer, goes AWOL and is sentenced to hard labor--but in prison he learns that he can turn his hatred into a living: instead of fighting the world he can punch one man at a time in the ring... He becomes a successful fighter, marries a devoted woman, Norma (Pier Angeli), and eventually makes it in the world, becoming middleweight champion.

The story is in the tradition of a number of fifties movies about delinquency and rebellion... Newman's portrayal of Rocky as an inarticulate teenager is similar to Brando's motorcyclist in THE WILD ONE, who also rebels against anything convenient and practical. But unlike the Brando character, Rocky develops from a causeless rebel into someone with a clear goal--to become a respected member of society--and this strong ambition allies him with many of Newman's subsequent characters.

In THE RACK Newman says he's "half my father's disappointment--half' my mother's hope," and the situation here is the same. Alienated from his vicious father, he runs out "to be something," and strikes back at the world... Their final confrontation, in which each recognizes his responsibility toward, and need for, the other, is a powerful moment; and the two reaching awkwardly for each other recalls the car scene in THE RACK. Another affecting scene is his mother's visit to him in prison, where she says he must help himself... This prefigures the mother-son confrontation in COOL HAND LUKE, except that in the latter, both realize that the rebel cannot change, whereas here there's hope that Rocky will turn his life around.

Newman effectively portrays Rocky's sincere but clumsy attempts at tenderness with Norma; in subsequent films he would play many men who have difficulty being tender... Rocky is made even more sympathetic by his genuine concern for a fellow hoodlum (Sal Mineo), whose idolatry of Rocky as a father-figure evokes the similar relationship between Mineo and James Dean in REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE.
This review is plagiarised.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3CGOSGCZ2JECN

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #508697
09/08/08 08:04 PM
09/08/08 08:04 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
DVR ALERT - Tonight at 10:00, TCM is airing "Dr. Strangelove", a MUST SEE for any Peter Sellers fan.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #508724
09/09/08 12:27 AM
09/09/08 12:27 AM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Great movie SC. All I've ever seen of Peter Sellers was Dr. Strangelove and the Pink Panther movies (which I love, especially the first two).

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Blibbleblabble] #508935
09/10/08 03:11 PM
09/10/08 03:11 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS (1957) ****

Tony Curtis stuck himself into a lot of B-roles, as in all those Biblical and Roman epics in which he utters lines like, "O great Tribune, as we retoin' t'da land of ouh faddahs" (leading one reviewer to note that "Curtis will be convincing as a Roman senator when the Gowanus flows into the Tiber"). But he was capable of great work, and he did his best, IMO, in this well-paced, intelligently written movie.

Curtis is Sidney Falco, a smarmy Broadway press agent who, like all his colleagues, is a slave to J.J. Hunsecker (Burt Lancaster, modeled on Walter Winchell). Getting in JJ's column makes or breaks press agents, and Sidney is willing to do (almost) anything to win the sadistic JJ's favor. The favor: break up the romance between JJ's neurotic younger sister (Susan Harrison) and a clean-cut jazz musician (Marty Milner) who is on JJ's s-list.
Clifford Odets, not the most subtle writer, did the screenplay, and it's broad in parts. But it has some razor-sharp dialog that underscores the sleazyness of the business and the complex, humiliating relationships among Sidney, JJ and the press agents and politicians who cross paths in NYC. Lancaster is forceful as ever. The excellent cast includes Emile Meyer, Eternal Eastern European Thug, as a crooked NYC police detective who ultimately does the dirty work for JJ. The score by Elmer Bernstein is wonderful, and the cinematography, by the all-time great James Wong Howe, puts you right into the heart of Times Square. "I love this filthy town," says JJ, walking out of a nightclub onto West 53rd Street, and you believe him. The sites are all real-life authentic. The opening scene, with Sidney gulping a pina colada at either Elpine's or Benedict's (two long-defunct hot dog/tropical drink joints in Times Square) was wonderfully nostalgic for me.
Always worth watching.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Turnbull] #508936
09/10/08 03:19 PM
09/10/08 03:19 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Dunno why, but I'm getting this movie confused with another (apparently). Tony Curtis played a musician who ends up sharing an apartment (out of necessity) with some gal. It's memorable for the fact that Don Rickles plays a heavy.

You ever see or hear about that movie?

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #508966
09/10/08 09:42 PM
09/10/08 09:42 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
You're thinking of "The Rat Race" (1960). Not very good.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: Turnbull] #515014
10/12/08 10:14 AM
10/12/08 10:14 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
DVR/VCR ALERT

TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is airing a bunch of Paul Newman movies today.

Currently playing is "Torn Curtain" (directed by Hitchcock)

At 12:15 they'll be starting "Exodus".

At 3:45 "Sweet Bird of Youth".

At 6:00 "Hud".

At 8:00 "Somebody Up There Likes Me".

At 10:00 "Cool Hand Luke".

At 12:15 (a.m.) "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof".

At 2:15 (a.m) "Rachel, Rachel".

(All times Eastern)

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #515149
10/13/08 01:57 AM
10/13/08 01:57 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Watching "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (for the second time this weekend). It's my favorite Paul Newman movie and one of the strongest dramas I've ever seen.

The basement scene with Burl Ives (who plays his father) is simply the most gut-wrenching piece of dramatic acting you'll ever see.

Superb acting by the entire cast (including Elizabeth Taylor) but the movie belongs to Newman.

Re: Turner Classic Movies You Just Watched Discuss [Re: SC] #515153
10/13/08 02:54 AM
10/13/08 02:54 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted By: SC
Watching "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (for the second time this weekend). It's my favorite Paul Newman movie

Haven't seen it yet blush ...but on the (long) list!

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull